Tank Planning after a few years hiatus

thedudebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I took a few years of hiatus from the hobby and I'm excited to be back. A few months ago I purchased a new house and a brand new 150 gallon. Therefore I am trying to plan livestock I want to add.

I am thinking of doing a reef tank (mainly LPS and soft corals) and I'm unsure of what kind of fish I want to add. Right now I have a pair of snowflake clowns and a watchman goby, I definitely would like to add a powder blue tang and maybe a bristle tooth tang.

What other fish do you guys suggest and/or love having?

Attached is a poor photo of the tank. I still haven't been able to get a good picture with the camera on my phone.

20210616_212254.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice.
Small fish for small tank

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?

I always suggest a Halichoeres wrasse and a longnose or flame hawk.

OP
OP
thedudebob

thedudebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?

I always suggest a Halichoeres wrasse and a longnose or flame hawk.

The tank is 60x24x24

I was actually looking at a flame hawk the other day - definitely seems like an awesome fish. Don't know much about the wrasse I'll have to check them out.

OP
OP
thedudebob

thedudebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about angels in a reef tank? I had a Regal in a reef tank and it ate my zoa's like candy

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know much about the wrasse I'll have to check them out.
It's a popular genus of wrasses, with the most popular being H. chrysus, melanurus, and maybe biocellatus. Great fish. Active, pretty, eat pests.
What do you guys think about angels in a reef tank? I had a Regal in a reef tank and it ate my zoa's like candy
It seems that you can build a tank around them. You've got the room. You just might have to choose between that angel and zoas and clams or whatever. You can't find a prettier fish, in my opinion.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I took a few years of hiatus from the hobby and I'm excited to be back. A few months ago I purchased a new house and a brand new 150 gallon. Therefore I am trying to plan livestock I want to add.

I am thinking of doing a reef tank (mainly LPS and soft corals) and I'm unsure of what kind of fish I want to add. Right now I have a pair of snowflake clowns and a watchman goby, I definitely would like to add a powder blue tang and maybe a bristle tooth tang.

What other fish do you guys suggest and/or love having?

Attached is a poor photo of the tank. I still haven't been able to get a good picture with the camera on my phone.

20210616_212254.jpg
I have a powder blue. I love it but I worry about him/her. It has a lot of personality but it reminds me of Dory. He seems neurotic and uses every bit of my 6’ tank to swim laps. It eats well, picks at algae, annoys me when I work in the tank. I would worry about him (her?) in anything with less length and probably need to find it an 8’ home.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle tooth is good powered blue not so much they get BIG. I’d say it makes for a good wrasse tank or if you enjoy smaller fish a ton of shoaling guys. Stripped blenny cardinals and if you feel adventurous maybe a nice school or azure damsels would be nice too.

OP
OP
thedudebob

thedudebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle tooth is good powered blue not so much they get BIG. I’d say it makes for a good wrasse tank or if you enjoy smaller fish a ton of shoaling guys. Stripped blenny cardinals and if you feel adventurous maybe a nice school or azure damsels would be nice too.
I like the idea of doing a wrasse tank with some azure damsels. If I wanted to keep a school of damsels is there a specific number I should get?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant shoal not school.

They do well in odd numbers to help spread aggression. Males will usually pick a spot and stay close by and females will tend to hop back and forth. In a 150 I wouldn’t be afraid to add around 10 depending on your livestock plans.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back