Tank position relative to a air duct

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my first tank in about 15 years. I have two possible spots for the tank. Both have an air vent that would blow right on them - so I'll have to take care of that with a directional cover or something. Both of them also have a run of ductwork above them going to other locations in the house. Would there be a problem (either with the tank or house) with having the tank directly below a duct? My first concern was that humidity would cause mold to grow in the ducts, but the more I think about it, the heat or a/c should take care of that.

Any thoughts?

nhendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 240 under a Hvac duct no problem at all but it’s in my formal dining room but my first floor is all open floor plan you may get more evaporation then you think tho ie more top offs I’m about 20g a week or so my wife keeps it cold in the house 68-71f

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what to make of this monster. I'll post pictures below. Where I would like to set it is directly below the main ductwork for the basement (this is what appears the be the ceiling above the vent in the first picture). The second pictures is the backside of the same wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_183057824.jpg
    IMG_20210924_183057824.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210924_183133601_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210924_183133601_HDR.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 34

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a standard supply register. I wouldnt be too concerned. Your vents in the shower get far more humidity daily lol.
Is this in a finished residential basement?
Noticed the drop ceiling.

Also, i would put the highest quality carbon impregnated filter you can find in your return register :)

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a standard supply register. I wouldnt be too concerned. Your vents in the shower get far more humidity daily lol.
Is this in a finished residential basement?
Noticed the drop ceiling.

Also, i would put the highest quality carbon impregnated filter you can find in your return register :)
Yup! Finished basement. You can even see the tiny corner of my hydroponic (for peppers) setup in the far left of the front side pic. I already run a massive air cleaner in that section of the basement and have an electronic air cleaner on the central unit. Might have to go see if I can find a good activated charcoal filter to go in the vent though. That's a really good thought :)

Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! Finished basement. You can even see the tiny corner of my hydroponic (for peppers) setup in the far left of the front side pic. I already run a massive air cleaner in that section of the basement and have an electronic air cleaner on the central unit. Might have to go see if I can find a good activated charcoal filter to go in the vent though. That's a really good thought :)

Thanks!
Yea i mainly use mine for any cooking smell or pet smell that ends up lingering in the home. I wish i had a huge whole house exhaust fan though!

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i mainly use mine for any cooking smell or pet smell that ends up lingering in the home. I wish i had a huge whole house exhaust fan though!
We actually have one of those, but I'm unable to use it. To use it you have to open all the windows to provide fresh air. I'm allergic to nearly everything outdoors, so we don't use it :(

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back