Tank Problems!

Andrewh1474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a problem that has me scratching my head. I have a 45 gallon mixed reef which is a year old. I keep getting brown algae on the substrate and I was reading it comes new tank syndrome. I first thought it was my water because I was getting it from the store but I bought a RO/DI unit about a month ago and mixing my own water with Coral Pro and I’m still getting that brown algae. I feed every other day and I have 4 fish and a shrimp which I don’t think is over stocked. Have a very good skimmer and do weekly water changes. Here’s a picture of my set up please help me figure this out .

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting are you using? I have found that reducing the white spectrum will great decrease the diatom outbreaks from to much light

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem for what seemed like a year and a half, then I had an outbreak of Dinos that I battled for about 3 months. I started my 65 g reef with dry rock. I decided after Dinos that I would push and try to foster as much biodiversity as possible. My reef is really flourishing now with little algae pressure. In my mind my reef took that long to fully mature and have significant biodiversity that all the bad stuff that's still in there but held in check by the competition for space both on the micro and macro scale.

OP
OP
Andrewh1474

Andrewh1474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting are you using? I have found that reducing the white spectrum will great decrease the diatom outbreaks from to much light
I’m using a Kessil Tuna Blue. And I have the setting on about 70% Blue

OP
OP
Andrewh1474

Andrewh1474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-2-9_14-15-51.jpeg

LBCobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe cut back a bit on your lights schedule. Leave them on for less time. also check your nitrates and phosphates.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back