Tank Purchased!! Finally my new tank build thread

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my plans changed 287 times for my new (used) tank. But the tank is bought, so finally moving forward.

It’s a 180 Gallon bow front. Of course my first step is to clean the bojesus out of it.

It came with a sump, all plumbing, I’ll probably have to upgrade the skimmer (pictures of tank and sump below)

For power heads I’ll be using 2 MP 40s

Lights - I’ve made several threads, and I think I landed on a hydra 52, with 2 AI prime pucks on the sides and behind the 52

I will be putting some chalice/ other LPS corals but coral in this tank will be limited, as several of my selected fish are “reef safe with caution”

Here is my stock list. I followed the 1” of max size per gallon rule, but it seems like a big list. I’m 100% open to feedback and critique here. I’ll put some brief explanations where I think it’s needed or I have questions. I have looked at LA comparability chart as part of my research

Purple tang
White tail bristletooth tang

Magnificent Foxface

Sargassum trigger fish

Emperor Angelfish

Copperband butterfly fish

(I read that the cirrhilabrus family of wrasse will get a long together, so I have a lot of them)
Orange back fairy wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse
Ruby longfin wrasse
Scott’s fairy wrasse
Male leneatus fairy wrasse
2x female fairy wrasse (I red the male will do better with 2 females present)

Black axle chromis x5

Pajama cardinal fish x5

Zebra barred dart fish x 5

Total inches at max size is 152” which is under 180. Is that too many fish? My current tank is 40, so this is a big upgrade so I’m unsure.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

31F4F87F-5251-4187-8085-E202C67DB4A7.jpeg 4780A7A7-CF1C-43B8-9D7D-4157A57F431F.jpeg

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! Be careful with emperor angels. They love many types of LPS.
I know. I understand the trigger can be bad too. I have a 40G running with tons of cool coral in it, so that will kind of be my “cool coral” tank, and this one will have cheaper ones that I think they will leave alone lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks more like a 1/2 cylinder tank which is even cooler yet!
Nice mix of fish listed. Do be careful with what is and what is not Reef safe

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like a 1/2 cylinder tank which is even cooler yet!
Nice mix of fish listed. Do be careful with what is and what is not Reef safe
Unless I missed one. They all either say “yes” or “with caution” to the reef safe question. I’m thinking of a couple of big torches and some chalices. Hoping those will be ok

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cha
Unless I missed one. They all either say “yes” or “with caution” to the reef safe question. I’m thinking of a couple of big torches and some chalices. Hoping those will be ok
Chalice should be good- keep an eye on them with the torches

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the scoot will not mix with the other ferries. let me see if I can pull up the chart.

also the 1" of fish rule is old school we tend to stock a lot lighter these days. well most anyway. emps get big I worry about swimming room and aggression. I know one of my fav, fish. I would just pause on it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bad looks like scott could be mixed with those ferries but they do get aggressive I would ask around ti see what other ppl think.

here is the flow chart for ferries wrasses if you have yet to see it. it good I am using it now to plan for the tank once we move.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bad looks like scott could be mixed with those ferries but they do get aggressive I would ask around ti see what other ppl think.

here is the flow chart for ferries wrasses if you have yet to see it. it good I am using it now to plan for the tank once we move.

Super helpful. Thank you!

And tough news on the emperor, it was my #1 lol. I guess I’ll look for a replacement. Better safe than sorry.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super helpful. Thank you!

And tough news on the emperor, it was my #1 lol. I guess I’ll look for a replacement. Better safe than sorry.

I hear ya one of my fav. fish too. I want to do a 300+ FLOWLR with angles ,tangs and butterflies....someday
how about a regal angel its another amazing large angel but does not get as big as the emp.

good luck! its gonna be a very nice reef. :D

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya one of my fav. fish too. I want to do a 300+ FLOWLR with angles ,tangs and butterflies....someday
how about a regal angel its another amazing large angel but does not get as big as the emp.

good luck! its gonna be a very nice reef. :D
I actually picked out regal angel first. But it says expert only on live aquaria and that scared me off lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back