Tank questions...

DiNo32141

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon reefers!!! I am in the process of cleaning a tank that was recently given to me... It’s an older tank, that has the stand pipes in the back rear corners, behind the plastic shields... I noticed that around the bulkheads, that someone attempted, at best, to reseal them... Which resulted in clumps of caulk, all the way around them...

My first question is, I want to do a rear mount overflow box, and I don’t see any “tempered” markings, so can this be drilled for the overflow box???

My second question, is more a statement, and a question... I would like to run UV sterilizers at some point, can I clean these overflow, and returns up, reseal them, and use those holes for a mini closed loop, sterilization system, or just clean up the areas, and cover them up with glass patches???

I also have a BUNCH of caulk to clean up, and redo as well as redoing the corners...

C17756B5-254E-4E1A-885D-40FCE39E4FCD.jpeg 1AD1ADFE-203C-4E3C-BAD5-38D901BCAB2D.jpeg 04E334A2-DD9D-439D-B2C0-7E4A8F7D1973.jpeg 806AAFA8-79AE-40C5-927B-59EEE3A19F95.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd scrape them clean and use glass the same thickness as the bottom for patches. I cannot tell you that the back of the tank is tempered or not. Never trust a sticker (or absence of one)!!! Do a quick google on "how to determine if my aquarium is tempered" and you'll find a couple quick easy methods to tell for sure.

If you want to use a UV that's great. I'd plumb to the sump - water in UV where the tank drains, water out UV by the return pump.

OP
OP
DiNo32141

DiNo32141

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd scrape them clean and use glass the same thickness as the bottom for patches. I cannot tell you that the back of the tank is tempered or not. Never trust a sticker (or absence of one)!!! Do a quick google on "how to determine if my aquarium is tempered" and you'll find a couple quick easy methods to tell for sure.

If you want to use a UV that's great. I'd plumb to the sump - water in UV where the tank drains, water out UV by the return pump.
Thank you so much @Billdogg ... I’ll look into plumbing it to the sump... I was hoping to use the 2 holes on each side, one for feed, and an opposing one for the UV return... That way, I could run the flow for each independently...

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you use a fairly tall standpipe for the input I would think it'd be a great place for whatever got sucked in to work on their tan? I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method - keep it simple for Stupid (me) If it's all in the sump there's nothing to worry about IMO

OP
OP
DiNo32141

DiNo32141

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you use a fairly tall standpipe for the input I would think it'd be a great place for whatever got sucked in to work on their tan? I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method - keep it simple for Stupid (me) If it's all in the sump there's nothing to worry

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiNo32141

DiNo32141

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you use a fairly tall standpipe for the input I would think it'd be a great place for whatever got sucked in to work on their tan? I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method - keep it simple for Stupid (me) If it's all in the sump there's nothing to worry about IMO
Yes sir, the KISS method works well!!! I’ll look into the sump options...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back