Should I paint the stand. This ones for fun and not so serious.

• Total voters
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have some time today. Going to take apart the glass from my donor tank (my current 210 reef tank that's emptied into all the small tanks).
I have to go to the home store to get some more PVC fittings because I have to fill the last chamber in the sump (the return basin) to check the fitting to pump for leaking.

I still am going with twice the diameter on the return line. earlier in this thread we talked about this so I might as well stick to it. My old reeflo pump said it was there recommendation that It had to be 2X the outlet to match performance specs. So 3 inch to the top is what its going to be. when I get to top is another question.
Picture to follow today after I get back. Hope to have the glass on top today. not sure if it will be siliconed or not. Still going clear although the black looks great.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out that the American fittings included with the pump are 1 1/2" pipe diameter so I could use less pieces to put it together. They fit right into the fittings. Funny because usually they are a slip fitting and not a street fitting.
I did find a rim inside the fittings that would only restrict water so I opened up the fittings for less restriction. I used a flush cut bit in a router to sort this out.
20180619_144827.jpg
20180619_145048.jpg

20180619_145301.jpg
20180619_151543.jpg
20180619_155430.jpg

Ran the pump and cycled through the sump. I does move a lot of water. Hardly here the pump but there is noise caused by the water being sucked through the bulkhead. Might be an echo or reverb from the way the sump is made and or the epoxy coating. I'll play with it some to see if I can dampen the sound.

I made a video that I can post later to show what I'm talking about.

Worked on the glass for a few minutes and hopefully it will be ready to start setting up in place tommorrow.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the front glass panel free. I also prepped the bottom to accept the glass and seal the silicone to the epoxy coating by sanding around all edges that the glass touches.

By the way sump water holding is great zero leaks so far.
Here's some pictures for ya. Who's near Sarasota this weekend that wants to help with the glass lol.
15295326710818077360723316069872.jpg

20180620_180006.jpg
20180620_175854.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dcp 20,000 is virtually silent. The only thing I can here is the noise from the plywood panel the bulk head is connected through. The water movement is creating a resonance and I think I got it pretty nailed down. So far I glues some yoga mat on the outside (wife wasn’t using it anyways) this helped. Then I had some new filter pad so I slid some on the inside and wow what a difference. I’ll finish it tomorrow with some pictures for you all.

Later.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next i have to take of the clamps and install the euro bracing glass pieces on the top edges.

I only put silicone in a few spots under the glass panels because I was filling the sides at the bottom outside edge. Now I can pull out the shims and inject the silicone under the glass panels.

More to come later.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya I ordered 4 200 gallon boxes of RPM pro salt at my LFS. I get a good cash deal. The red sea coral pro isn't as consistent and takes awhile ro mix. My friend that owns the store has been using it and loves it. So I'm going to give it a try. It mixes clear almost instantly.

Anyone else using this RPM PRO salt?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at these pieces of glass I'm supposed to use for the euro brace. The math called for 2 inch but seems kind of small in comparison to the tank.....

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at these pieces of glass I'm supposed to use for the euro brace. The math called for 2 inch but seems kind of small in comparison to the tank.....

I have 3 inch either end and 2 inch front and back on 500 litres, that does sound a bit flimsy!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling tomorrow to order some 6" x 72" glass. I'm unsure if I'll just use the 2" side pieces glued to the bottom of the front and back pieces along the sides.

I could do 4" instead of 6" but I'm having it made might as well make it better.

Now I'll be left with these glass pieces guess I'll just cap the front and back edges and cover the seam kind of like a 90.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back