Should I paint the stand. This ones for fun and not so serious.

• Total voters
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to water test sump again tomorrow we will see how that goes then bring it in the house. I have to transfer over all the live rock from the old sump and get it in place then I have to bring in the stand and connect it to the lower part with the sump on it. After that I can install the glass then set the overflow box and drain heights. Plumb the drain lines from under tank into sump. After that install the coast to coast over flow into the tank and over flow box. Easy right. To bad my magic wand stopped working lol.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
howdy all. Finally get to the water test of sump tomorrow morning. Going to meter a 5 gallon bucket for time then clock the time it takes to fill it so I know how much it actually holds.

Got to 60 gallons Saturday and saw a leak. It was were I had screwed the panels together and the screw pushed out the side. My fault really for the leak I only put one layer of epoxy on some areas. its all fixed up now and I'm going to continue the fill up. I still have water in the other sections and are testing out okay so far. I'll post some pictures when I get out to the garage.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
214 gallons with room to spare. Based of time rate of fill.

Had to add some support to one side had a bow in it. Wish I had used a more solid plywood the sandyply is much softer. Not seeing any issues now but if I had tob do it over I would have used more solid ply as I did on other areas of the sump
20180101_143552.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I'd definitely reinforce the walls of the sump, like just run a 2x4 along each side at mid height, just for bowing insurance. I like the idea of this massive all-in-one design.

I like the coast to coast over the top overflow as well.

Will you just be using eurobracing on top or any cross-braces? Will it be rimless or have a rim?

One thing to consider that wouldn't add a ton of work, with the tank on top, you wont be able to see into many of those sump chambers. Cut out some windows and silicone in some glass panes to look through. It will give it that fancy "dreambox" look, and it will be very functional as you can peek in from the sides. All you have to add are a few small glass supports and then just silicone a few panes of glass in there.

Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I'd definitely reinforce the walls of the sump, like just run a 2x4 along each side at mid height, just for bowing insurance. I like the idea of this massive all-in-one design.

I like the coast to coast over the top overflow as well.

Will you just be using eurobracing on top or any cross-braces? Will it be rimless or have a rim?

One thing to consider that wouldn't add a ton of work, with the tank on top, you wont be able to see into many of those sump chambers. Cut out some windows and silicone in some glass panes to look through. It will give it that fancy "dreambox" look, and it will be very functional as you can peek in from the sides. All you have to add are a few small glass supports and then just silicone a few panes of glass in there.

Keep up the good work!
I will definitely be adding some supports once it’s under the tank I’m just at the moment make sure there’s no leaks in it but of course it’s better to water tested once it’s had all the supports added. As for the windows in the bottom I don’t think they’ll be necessary I’ll still have enough room to get my arms and my head in there and do stuff inside the sump. the only areas that I’ll be servicing on a regular basis will be right up front in the pump location area so I’m not too worried about seeing what’s going on. It does seem like a cool idea though.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so an overnight water test revealed that the one side that didn’t have any support on it had cracking in the corner and sprung a little leak. I also missed adding extra screws to these areas as well. I do know that once it’s under the main tank stand I will have added supports on the sides to prevent any of this from happening but it is nice to know that the rest of it is sound and I shouldn’t have any issues but I will be adding extra support to the areas that I see are the weakest. I think my next goal is to patch anything I need to and get it under the stand add the supports in and do another final water test.

I would have had much less problems if I had used a more solid plywood so if you’re attempting to build any of this as I have make sure you get really stiff plywood and don’t buy the Sandy ply because it is soft and bends too easily. Almost thought of rebuilding it but might as well fix up what I got.

I also would have used fiberglass tape and resin and done all the corners and edges internally before I epoxied it. I believe it is the recommendation from the epoxy manufacture so I guess my bad.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried anything like this but I did think it looked a bit"flimsy"?!
Hopefully it will be cool once in place and braced.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most plywood builds that I have seen used corner supports for this reason, is it too late to pop some of these supports in and apply another coat of epoxy or some fiberglass resin?

tank2.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most plywood builds that I have seen used corner supports for this reason, is it too late to pop some of these supports in and apply another coat of epoxy or some fiberglass resin?

tank2.jpg
No it' not to late. Have not fully assembled It inside the house yet. I should have used bulky ply like 3/4 sheeting ply. But I didn't oh well it will still work. Just needs some supports. Most of the extra supports aren't in or done so it was somewhat pre mature to water test it but at least I know the weakest areas now.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank2.jpg
Another comment on this is most are using the fiberglass mesh or woven mat and then fiberglass resign then go over it with the epoxy. I was already into it before I figured that out.

So now that I need more epoxy I’m trying to figure out how exactly I would go about adding more support. Once in the stand as pictured in the last post it won’t need any outer bracing. So do I just epoxy seems that cracked on the on corner and then maybe make a flexible seal on all places were boards meet with silicone. Idk

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much room / height do you have there to work in that swimming pool of a sump?
I’m not in front of it but I believe it’s around 14 inches and then the whole return pump and reactor pad area is open in front.

Why you want to go for a swim?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back