Tank Safe for Fish & Snails?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g tank (plus 25-30g in sump) cycled for 60 days. It was ready after 30 days, but I was in no hurry and my Clowns were going through quarantine anyhow. During the cycle, I kept dosing ammonia up to 2ppm and letting it clear out. The tank can now process 2ppm ammonia easily in 24hrs... but my nitrates were through the roof but finally settled around 50ppm.

Today, I did my big water change, 50 gallons...the most i could feasible handle at one time! Now, my nitrates are reading 25ppm with a Salifert test kit. Is it safe to transfer my Clowns and a couple snails now?

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds as though it ought to be!

~Bruce

Thanks! What is the "danger" range for nitrates for fish, corals, and inverts?

My Clowns are getting excited...i can tell. They have been watching that big tank across the room for the last 45 days! Lol

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most folks recommend around 5ppm nitrates for corals - other inverts aren't as sensitive - but I've seen very successful reefs running around ten times that. They've found a different balance.

You'd need nitrates into the hundreds to begin to have any major impact on most fish.

~Bruce

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back