Tank set up question regarding salt and sand

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a dumb question. But I’m an overthinker. Looking for order in which to do things.

I’m setting up a 135g tank. For the first time water fill up I will be using water from my hose and a salt mix.

it’s too much to do in buckets so I’ll be doing this in the tank (only this first time I know not to do it with fish in)

I also need to set up rocks and the sand… so my question is…. Can I go ahead and put the rocks and sand down first before the water and salt.. Or is it better to wait until salt is mixed to pour in my sand and rocks ? does it matter?

what’s the best order to do things ?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a dumb question. But I’m an overthinker. Looking for order in which to do things.

I’m setting up a 135g tank. For the first time water fill up I will be using water from my hose and a salt mix.

it’s too much to do in buckets so I’ll be doing this in the tank (only this first time I know not to do it with fish in)

I also need to set up rocks and the sand… so my question is…. Can I go ahead and put the rocks and sand down first before the water and salt.. Or is it better to wait until salt is mixed to pour in my sand and rocks ? does it matter?

The best order is whatever is most convenient. Makes no difference. Most people, including me, Put everything in the aquarium first, added RODI water, and then the salt. Turn on the pumps to mix the salt.

OP
OP
killstank

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best order is whatever is most convenient. Makes no difference. Most people, including me, Put everything in the aquarium first, added RODI water, and then the salt. Turn on the pumps to mix the salt.
Thank you! Was afraid to mess something up haha.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@killstank don’t want to insult you but reading what you wrote, just to be clear you’re not just hooking up a hose to your regular water and filling the tank right?

OP
OP
killstank

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@killstank don’t want to insult you but reading what you wrote, just to be clear you’re not just hooking up a hose to your regular water and filling the tank right?
My fish store guy said I could do that and use water conditioner … what do you think? not a good idea ?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish store guy said I could do that and use water conditioner … what do you think? not a good idea ?

Yes you can do it, but it adds a lot of risk and possible frustration. Depending on your water quality it may be a minor issue, a big issue, or in some cases no issue.

Water conditioners are about chlorine, ammonia, etc. They don't remove the minerals, metals, phosphates, and everything else in your water. Even if your water has no "bad" stuff you are going to mix it with salt and depending on your tap water and salt mix you use this could give you alkalinity levels at 14+ dkh for example.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a pro but I don’t think that’s a good idea. Your fish might live but regular tap water has nitrates, chlorine depending on where you live it might have Flouride. The conditioner will just make sure it’s not toxic for the fish by binding the chlorine but the nitrates and stuff will still stay. So in the long run you’ll deal with other issues like algae and high nitrates which you’ll eventually have to do WC with RODI water to get rid of and still might end up with them. I got a not so expensive RODI unit for around $200 and now I wish I had gotten a more decent one as I would’ve saved money on changing the filters.

OP
OP
killstank

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do it, but it adds a lot of risk and possible frustration. Depending on your water quality it may be a minor issue, a big issue, or in some cases no issue.

Water conditioners are about chlorine, ammonia, etc. They don't remove the minerals, metals, phosphates, and everything else in your water. Even if your water has no "bad" stuff you are going to mix it with salt and depending on your tap water and salt mix you use this could give you alkalinity levels at 14+ dkh for example.
Yeah it’s a fowlr probably 2 fish and an eel. No corals. But I may just go ahead and buy premixed saltwater from my lfs to get started then… or rodi whichever is cheaper. I already bought a lot of salt lol. I get my tank dec. 9

im Not trying to hurt any animals here. Also just read mold could be in water hose and seeing as i don’t even know how old the hose is… I’m not feeling good about it.

OP
OP
killstank

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a pro but I don’t think that’s a good idea. Your fish might live but regular tap water has nitrates, chlorine depending on where you live it might have Flouride. The conditioner will just make sure it’s not toxic for the fish by binding the chlorine but the nitrates and stuff will still stay. So in the long run you’ll deal with other issues like algae and high nitrates which you’ll eventually have to do WC with RODI water to get rid of and still might end up with them. I got a not so expensive RODI unit for around $200 and now I wish I had gotten a more decent one as I would’ve saved money on changing the filters.
Is there a Decent one you have been looking at ?
Wondering what price is. This rodi unit is something I will have to begin research on from scratch. I know what it is but not much else

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a Decent one you have been looking at ?
Wondering what price is. This rodi unit is something I will have to begin research on from scratch. I know what it is but not much else

There are basically two types for the hobbyist. Some use proprietary filters,...most use standard sized filter housings. Get one that uses standard filter housing if you don't want to be tied into limited options when purchasing replacement filters. Other than that it's really just deciding what bells and whistles you want. I like have a pressure gauge and flush valve. I like tds sensor as well but I prefer to use a separate stand alone pen style rather than inline tds meters. Another common option is a booster pump, but depending on water pressure that may be anywhere from useless to essential.

Anyway all that is to say I recommend Amazon with the bells and whistles you want..... Or can go to BRS and pick out one of theres at a significantly higher price.

OP
OP
killstank

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great info. I did check Amazon and prices don’t seem 2 bad. Will look more into this. Thank you

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biggest mistake you can make at this point is using tap water instead of RODI water.

You'll be paying for that error for the next 12 months at least.
Do it right to start with.

If you're using live rock and sand you need to have the salt water in before adding them.

If it's dry rock you can add the salt and let it mix after adding the aquascape.

eyecandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok to use tap water with conditioner if this is going to be a FOWLR tank. I’ve done it before with no problems. Make sure you don’t turn on the lights until tank is fully cycled and have it on low. Start with an hour a few hours a day. If you have the lights on for too long at the beginning you will regret it.
I would fill the tank with tap water than add conditioner. Use Instant Ocean salt because it the best for FOWLR. It’s cheap and does the job. Once the water cleared up add sand slowly. Use a small bucket and fill it with sand. Than put the bucket into the tank bottom and pour it out slowly. Add the liver rocks.
Good luck mate!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the nitrate and phosphate in your tap water. If it’s high you will be getting an RO unit soon anyway. For example my tap is 20ppm Nitrate and 1ppm phosphate. May as well start off on the right foot or any problem encountered may be contributed to your tapwater, rightfully or wrongly. Happy reefin :)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re seeing a lot of folks that would do it another way. Personally, I make my own rodi. And while I can only make 30G of RODI / saltwater at a time and have a 120G tank, for a first time fill you can do it over time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back