tank size feed back needed please.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it's looking like our plans have changes yet once again so now I am tank shopping.

I am leaning towards the IM 200 ext peninsula with there new 75 gallon sump.

tank dims. are 70.9" long X 30W X 21.7"H = 200 galoon DT + the 75 gallon sump - displacement guessing around 250 gallons?

I like this tank as it could future proof other builds I would like to do. like FW planted reefs etc. while its not the best size for a FOWLR I do think it could work quit well?

my stocking list for FOWLR would be:
emp. angel
regal angel
2X dwarf angels
Pearlscale Butterflyfish
Sunset Butterflyfish
CBB
Raccoon Butterflyfish
Harlequin Tusk
3X smaller wrasses
3 tangs
a porcupine puffer would love to be on the list to :)

this is a very loose list and just idea at this point. looking at the list I prob. would have to shave a few off. anyway what are your thoughts on the tanks size for a FOWLR not sure I can go to much bigger my floor is supported could add to it but then I start getting into some major reno work.

+ going bigger custom start to get $$$ right now the above tank stand and sump can be had for 3.8K. where if i custom a am looking at that just for the tank alone...

anyway would love your gals and gals thoughts on this as I have wanted to do a proper fish only for a decade +

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it's looking like our plans have changes yet once again so now I am tank shopping.

I am leaning towards the IM 200 ext peninsula with there new 75 gallon sump.

tank dims. are 70.9" long X 30W X 21.7"H = 200 galoon DT + the 75 gallon sump - displacement guessing around 250 gallons?

I like this tank as it could future proof other builds I would like to do. like FW planted reefs etc. while its not the best size for a FOWLR I do think it could work quit well?

my stocking list for FOWLR would be:
emp. angel
regal angel
2X dwarf angels
Pearlscale Butterflyfish
Sunset Butterflyfish
CBB
Raccoon Butterflyfish
Harlequin Tusk
3X smaller wrasses
3 tangs
a porcupine puffer would love to be on the list to :)

this is a very loose list and just idea at this point. looking at the list I prob. would have to shave a few off. anyway what are your thoughts on the tanks size for a FOWLR not sure I can go to much bigger my floor is supported could add to it but then I start getting into some major reno work.

+ going bigger custom start to get $$$ right now the above tank stand and sump can be had for 3.8K. where if i custom a am looking at that just for the tank alone...

anyway would love your gals and gals thoughts on this as I have wanted to do a proper fish only for a decade +

If you are going to go FOWLR, I would say go huge and get a simple glass box with canister. Why spend the extra on a reef ready system if you are not going to utilize it? FOWLR requires a fraction of the care that a reef does.

180g box, Fluval FX6, maybe 2?, Cheap led light strip and you are set for under $2k. (Probably a LOT closer to $1000)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to go FOWLR, I would say go huge and get a simple glass box with canister. Why spend the extra on a reef ready system if you are not going to utilize it? FOWLR requires a fraction of the care that a reef does.

180g box, Fluval FX6, maybe 2?, Cheap led light strip and you are set for under $2k. (Probably a LOT closer to $1000)
I have thought of the classic 180...IDK I like sumps even for fish only just gives one more filter options and flexibility down the road.

another factor is the will be a peninsula center piece on our home so a nice tank and stand is a must. all my DIY stand over the years have well looked like DIY projects. ha so not only the tank needs to look nice the stand does too. :)

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration will depend on your inhabitants and what you feed them... ,

my 300 gallon normal reef normal 30 inch venturi skimmer ozone uv. filter socks, very simple maybe a OZ of food a day. ...
my 300 predator reef has a huge quad beckett thats good for thousands of gallons, 2 big bio towers, lots of pre filters and ozone and uv. feed 1/2 to 1 lb of food per day.
same sized tanks. totally different filtration due to inhabitants.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration will depend on your inhabitants and what you feed them... ,

my 300 gallon normal reef normal 30 inch venturi skimmer ozone uv. filter socks, very simple maybe a OZ of food a day. ...
my 300 predator reef has a huge quad beckett thats good for thousands of gallons, 2 big bio towers, lots of pre filters and ozone and uv. feed 1/2 to 1 lb of food per day.
same sized tanks. totally different filtration due to inhabitants.
filtration will be lots of bio media, skimmer, UV and fuge. alltho I am quite curious about ozone.

mind sharing your ozone experience?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone has been used in waste water treatment for decades, many studies done. its very reactive. i have never seen a downside. Your skimmer works better, your water is clearer, your fish look like they float and your glass never needs to be scraped.. ok im joking about he glass needing to be scraped.. it does alot to clean up your water and really if i turn O3off a few days i do have to clean the glass more often and i think the skimmate is not quite as nasty water.

Downside=you will hear how some say its dangerous.. sorry at the levels we use in aquariums you better have your nostril on the end of the tube if you want some damage.. theoretically possible sure,, but your mp60 could also theorecically go nuclear too if you want to talk string theory or what ifs that will never happen........ in an industrial setting with O3smell will drive you out of a building way before reaching a critical O3 level.

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting discussion since I am eyeballing the Nuvo 200 (INT peninsula version) as well. The comment about price, I'm not seeing that in my area. A basic 180g is $1300-1500 just for the tank, $1000+ for a stand, $600 for 2xFX6, $150 for covers....well you get the idea.

Like @Devaji said, you can get the Nuvo 200 for under $4k and it has better FOWLR dimensions and a massively better aesthetic. Not trying to start something, these are just the same thoughts I have had over the last few days :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought of the classic 180...IDK I like sumps even for fish only just gives one more filter options and flexibility down the road.

another factor is the will be a peninsula center piece on our home so a nice tank and stand is a must. all my DIY stand over the years have well looked like DIY projects. ha so not only the tank needs to look nice the stand does too. :)
Love your thinking, I am headed the same direction. I was going to buy the Nuvo 150 EXT as more of a reef setup, but my wife wants a room divider, so now I'm leaning Nuvo 200 INT peninsula for a FOWLR. I also love your stock list by the way. Raccoon butterfly (and some other easier types) are absolutely on my must have list.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting discussion since I am eyeballing the Nuvo 200 (INT peninsula version) as well. The comment about price, I'm not seeing that in my area. A basic 180g is $1300-1500 just for the tank, $1000+ for a stand, $600 for 2xFX6, $150 for covers....well you get the idea.

Like @Devaji said, you can get the Nuvo 200 for under $4k and it has better FOWLR dimensions and a massively better aesthetic. Not trying to start something, these are just the same thoughts I have had over the last few days :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Not sure why you have such a large upcharge for the tank and stand. I got my 135 from my LFS for 700 and 400 for the stand. The price sheet he has posted has an undrilled 180 at 700. Add 100 per overflow for custom tank. Stand for that size is same.

This is how I based my comment about price. Even if you went with the custom drilling and the 2 canisters, we are talking $900 + 400 + 600. Add in a couple cheap led strip lights ($250-300?) You are still out the door for just over 2k.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your thinking, I am headed the same direction. I was going to buy the Nuvo 150 EXT as more of a reef setup, but my wife wants a room divider, so now I'm leaning Nuvo 200 INT peninsula for a FOWLR. I also love your stock list by the way. Raccoon butterfly (and some other easier types) are absolutely on my must have list.
I end up pulling the trigger on the 200 ext with there sump now to wait 12-16 weeks
I think it will be a nice tank give me a lot of options for down the road. reef, fish only even FW planted. all that said just found out CADE offers there peninsulas in white now with the BF/CM deals it is 1.8K more but comes with a pre build stand with controller cabbie.
might give it a look if you have yet to pull the trigger on the IM tank.

that said peninsula tanks are the cat meow. there amazing to have a room divider. it is like having 3 tanks in one.

Not sure why you have such a large upcharge for the tank and stand. I got my 135 from my LFS for 700 and 400 for the stand. The price sheet he has posted has an undrilled 180 at 700. Add 100 per overflow for custom tank. Stand for that size is same.

This is how I based my comment about price. Even if you went with the custom drilling and the 2 canisters, we are talking $900 + 400 + 600. Add in a couple cheap led strip lights ($250-300?) You are still out the door for just over 2k.
you're in CALI right? you guys always get the good deals on tanks and live stock/corals. come in land you with feel the sting of the prices.
MY "LFS" is 8 hr drive each way.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I end up pulling the trigger on the 200 ext with there sump now to wait 12-16 weeks
I think it will be a nice tank give me a lot of options for down the road. reef, fish only even FW planted. all that said just found out CADE offers there peninsulas in white now with the BF/CM deals it is 1.8K more but comes with a pre build stand with controller cabbie.
might give it a look if you have yet to pull the trigger on the IM tank.

that said peninsula tanks are the cat meow. there amazing to have a room divider. it is like having 3 tanks in one.

you're in CALI right? you guys always get the good deals on tanks and live stock/corals. come in land you with feel the sting of the prices.
MY "LFS" is 8 hr drive each way.

Trust me... I feel the "sting" in other areas.

You asked for advice on a new tank. I gave my opinion. What you choose to do with that is entirely up to you. I personally feel that a "Reef ready" system for a FOWLR setup is overkill and added expense, but that is just my own opinion.

Are you looking for options, or validation of your decision?

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m just going off pricing I have seen in my area in the last month. If I could get a 180g at $700 I would buy it in a heartbeat, but everyone is quoting at least double that here in Ohio.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me... I feel the "sting" in other areas.

You asked for advice on a new tank. I gave my opinion. What you choose to do with that is entirely up to you. I personally feel that a "Reef ready" system for a FOWLR setup is overkill and added expense, but that is just my own opinion.

Are you looking for options, or validation of your decision?

yeah man I value your option and advise! it was good to. just cant get that around here is all.
I dont envy your coast of power tho. so i guess it all even out in the end. I just dream of getting all the corals and fish deals you guys get on the west coast. :)

Back