Tank size necessary for a self substaining copepod population for a dragonet.

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dragonet when I first started the hobby in a 30 gallon tank. It was my first fishkeeping mistake. It was no where near established, so the dragonet eat for a few weeks and I could tell it wasn’t going as good as it could have, so I gave it to a friend who had a good copepod population. Back to present day, I have a 120 gallon tank with a 20-30 gallon sump that has a refugium. I visually see copepods in every chamber of the sump. This tank has been set up for 7 months now, but I had all the livestock, rocks, ect in a tank across the room set up for 6 months. Would this be a long enough time and enough of a copepod sanctuary for a dragonet to be able to self sustain without copepod additions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be good. I have found 50g set up for 6months to be about right for 1 dragonet.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dragonet when I first started the hobby in a 30 gallon tank. It was my first fishkeeping mistake. It was no where near established, so the dragonet eat for a few weeks and I could tell it wasn’t going as good as it could have, so I gave it to a friend who had a good copepod population. Back to present day, I have a 120 gallon tank with a 20-30 gallon sump that has a refugium. I visually see copepods in every chamber of the sump. This tank has been set up for 7 months now, but I had all the livestock, rocks, ect in a tank across the room set up for 6 months. Would this be a long enough time and enough of a copepod sanctuary for a dragonet to be able to self sustain without copepod additions?

It's not a question of tank size, it's more a question of the amount of live rock with a well established copepod population that measures the long term success of one. I would say a 6 month to a year well established 75lbs of live rock.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be good. I have found 50g set up for 6months to be about right for 1 dragonet.
and how long do they live in that environment? I personally would never do less than 1 in 120g. I dont think many people have long term success in smaller tanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and how long do they live in that environment? I personally would never do less than 1 in 120g. I dont think many people have long term success in smaller tanks.
I've seen mandarins live quite a few years in setups this size. But the setup has to be at least six months old and no other pod eaters.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a question of tank size, it's more a question of the amount of live rock with a well established copepod population that measures the long term success of one. I would say a 6 month to a year well established 75lbs of live rock.
I honestly don’t remember how much live rock I have in the tank. I feel like it is more than 75lbs. I will probably post a picture to try and have you estimate how much is in there. There is about 10lbs in the sump too.

2DE0A4C6-A22F-46E2-A676-A0BA8C0D87A5.jpeg

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a pair on for 4 years in a 20g. What matter is husbandry and providing a sustainable copepod population.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair on for 4 years in a 20g. What matter is husbandry and providing a sustainable copepod population.
Certainly an exception to the rule. Also most people arent going to be perpetually dumping pods in the tank, which is exactly what this topic is about "Self sustaining pod population". Did yours only eat pods anyway btw? Just curious, good job!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back