Tank still cloudy after 48 hours of putting sand.

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as the title says. Its been 2 days and tank is still cloudy. Im just running 2 gyres on 50% for water flow. The sand is caribsea pink fiji.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a filter sock? There's not much to do unless the flow is too much.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a filter sock? There's not much to do unless the flow is too much.
I havent ran the water to the sump yet. So i need the filter socks to help with the cloudiness? Wont it like settle by itself?

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent ran the water to the sump yet. So i need the filter socks to help with the cloudiness? Wont it like settle by itself?

Well, the gyres are pushing the very fine particles in the sand around. 200 micron filter socks will help you clear that up.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a nano, we could take the tank apart rinse the sand and start it back cloudless

If not a nano, bio coating will weight down the particles eventually and there’s sock filtration as mentioned

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to socks. It will eventually settle out without them, but that junk ends up in every hole/crevice, and coats everything. I prefer to remove most of those fines so it doesn't make a mess with gobies and when I turkey baste the rocks, later.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You diffently need some sort of filtration or the power heads will just blow the clouds around. It won't settle.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it is also possible that they might not be positioned quite right and are blowing sand.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply guys. ill be putting some filter sock and floss. hope it clears out.
and the gyres are about 20 inches from the sand. and theyre only at 50% max. so i think its the really fine particles thats makes the water cloudy

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Tank is still somewhat cloudy. Gyre is now at 30%. Ive also added filter sock directly where the waters coming down from the overflow box. Any more idea what can i do? Is this a bacterial bloom? Ive checked ammonia and its 0.
Also to note, i used live caribsea pink fiji. But i havent poured the saltmix in. So basically i just rendered the “live” sand useless. Below are some pics and this is a video

35612126-30F9-4FD5-B795-73A96B9FCFFC.jpeg

35D90E33-44D1-4D40-BA4A-264851AA568B.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you run some type of filter the water will remain cloudy as long as you have water movement. Rinsing sand is a must. Even live sand. A canister filter like for fresh water will work. Stuff it full of floss and run it for a day. Once you have your filters running, stir your sand bed and blow of the rocks to get rid of as much of the dust as you can. Do this a few times.
Here is my tank after 3 days of filling. Has not reach the over flow yet so the water is cloudy.
R_Sand5.jpg
R_Sand4.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about the classic sandbed rinse

you w be cloudless, permanently thereafter. we demo'd a good 1o or so in the rinse thread. perfect sand. diatom fuel removed.

silt inclusions are clouding your tank, not the little sand grains you are aiming for

we know how to remove the silt, leave the grains, what swirls around then is snowglobe effect, we show. not dusting/clouding, a pre rinse would have solved this entire issue before sandbed installation.

Good call above, yes you do pre rinse live sand if you want to be silt free. it doesn't strip it of bacteria. if it did, lab techs would wipe down their workstations with tap water every day, not sterilizing cleaners. I rinse my old sandbed in tap water occasionally until its cloudless again, then once in saltwater before re installation without detritus (clouding agents move from silt to detritus in the aged tank) and it runs years again perfectly

pre rinsing and then maintenance rinsing, or some kind of preventative measure like weekly stirring/siphoning is lasting the longest we show in lifespan experiment reef tanks

siphon off the current water first, put it in a huge plastic trash bin

then blast clean the bed, put the water back, now its easily filtered clean since its not being pumped from the bottom back into suspension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about the classic sandbed rinse

you w be cloudless, permanently thereafter. we demo'd a good 1o or so in the rinse thread. perfect sand. diatom fuel removed.

silt inclusions are clouding your tank, not the little sand grains you are aiming for

we know how to remove the silt, leave the grains, what swirls around then is snowglobe effect, we show. not dusting/clouding, a pre rinse would have solved this entire issue before sandbed installation.

Good call above, yes you do pre rinse live sand if you want to be silt free. it doesn't strip it of bacteria. if it did, lab techs would wipe down their workstations with tap water every day, not sterilizing cleaners. I rinse my old sandbed in tap water occasionally until its cloudless again, then once in saltwater before re installation without detritus (clouding agents move from silt to detritus in the aged tank) and it runs years again perfectly

pre rinsing and then maintenance rinsing, or some kind of preventative measure like weekly stirring/siphoning is lasting the longest we show in lifespan experiment reef tanks

siphon off the current water first, put it in a huge plastic trash bin

then blast clean the bed, put the water back, now its easily filtered clean since its not being pumped from the bottom back into suspension.
thanks for the reply.
so the first step is to drain all the water first right?
and then get a huge trash bag and put the sand in it.
then rinse the sand outside with tap water.
and then put the sand in the tank . and then fill it with water?

also is it ok to use tap water to rinse it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed its just in that order and here's the thread we'll link your clean up to below.

this will arrest/stop this situation, that's mainly all we collect here.

right before you put it back in, rinse it in saltwater so no tap gets in the tank. the tap is just the brief unlimited intermediary, its too brief to matter in the long term, Im even doing it to a 12 yr old reef tank many times in this thread just to keep the proofs going its not harmful, happy to use my own medicine and document. this stuff can aggregate and be filtered out, agreed. even the directions on the sand say not to rinse it

but theres hidden benefit if you do...siltless cloudless reefing where grains act like snowglobe grains and fall down cloudless, I took two high res videos of it for the thread. glad we can run through another cleaning run these are fun!

the sand is 100% rinsed over and over by hand and hard spray force/tap water until its cloudless grains.

rinse sw, put back, refill current water, that cloud w clear with any sock filtration in place and not come back from a sandbed cause up until it shifts to waste loading 30 months from now and requires another clean, same thing if you want a true reset, others don't. either way on a new tank, its ideal to start cloudless.

sand rinse thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed its just in that order and here's the thread we'll link your clean up to below.

right before you put it back in, rinse it in saltwater so no tap gets in the tank. the tap is just the brief unlimited intermediary, its too brief to matter in the long term, Im even doing it to a 12 yr old reef tank many times in this thread just to keep the proofs going its not harmful, happy to use my own medicine and document. this stuff can aggregate and be filtered out, agreed. even the directions on the sand say not to rinse it

but theres hidden benefit if you do...siltless cloudless reefing where grains act like snowglobe grains and fall down cloudless, I took two high res videos of it for the thread. glad we can run through another cleaning run these are fun!

the sand is 100% rinsed over and over by hand and hard spray force/tap water until its cloudless grains.

rinse sw, put back, refill current water, that cloud w clear with any sock filtration in place and not come back from a sandbed cause up until it shifts to waste loading 30 months from now and requires another clean, same thing if you want a true reset, others don't. either way on a new tank, its ideal to start cloudless.

sand rinse thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445
is there another way? because the tank is quite big 250 gallon. with rocks already on top.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sand rinse thread
Does running a canoster filter full of floss work? Like the guy mentioned above

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you run some type of filter the water will remain cloudy as long as you have water movement. Rinsing sand is a must. Even live sand. A canister filter like for fresh water will work. Stuff it full of floss and run it for a day. Once you have your filters running, stir your sand bed and blow of the rocks to get rid of as much of the dust as you can. Do this a few times.
Here is my tank after 3 days of filling. Has not reach the over flow yet so the water is cloudy.
R_Sand5.jpg
R_Sand4.jpg
did yours clear our by using a canister filter full of floss?
but you also rinsed it right?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there another way? because the tank is quite big 250 gallon. with rocks already on top.
The rocks are on top the sand? I always place mine on the bottom, some animals will disturb the sand and could cause a rock slide..

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks are on top the sand? I always place mine on the bottom, some animals will disturb the sand and could cause a rock slide..
Nope. I put the rocks for and then send. Sorry for the confusion

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I rinsed the sand. And i cant get the water crystal clear while rinsing. Is this normal? Ive been rinsing for a few hours already . I even rinsed batch by batch. The cloudiness did lessen. But i cant get i really crystal clear

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back