Tank still cloudy after 48 hours of putting sand.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did yours clear our by using a canister filter full of floss?
but you also rinsed it right?
Yes I did rinse my sand. I find it takes a lot of rinsing in a 5 gallon bucket to get it clear. I still get some fines in the water column. After 2 or 3 times, 12 bags later, I used my "safe" word and put it in the tank. Some of my cloudy water is caused by my rock. I rinsed it after soaking but.... When filling, I used a pump in the mixing barrel with hose attached. I sprayed water over the rocks by hand and got some rock dust. This morning the water is very clear. A nice scum film on top and some scum attached the the sides. After this 65 gallon batch of water it should reach the over flow. I can then use the filter socks. Time to find the mighty magnet and get that fun daily routine started. I have the canister on my 55 gal observation tank and can't use it here. It worked on my 125 gal, when I was dumb and didn't know you rinsed sand.. I used floss and a pleated paper filter and had it clear in less than 1 day.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did rinse my sand. I find it takes a lot of rinsing in a 5 gallon bucket to get it clear. I still get some fines in the water column. After 2 or 3 times, 12 bags later, I used my "safe" word and put it in the tank. Some of my cloudy water is caused by my rock. I rinsed it after soaking but.... When filling, I used a pump in the mixing barrel with hose attached. I sprayed water over the rocks by hand and got some rock dust. This morning the water is very clear. A nice scum film on top and some scum attached the the sides. After this 65 gallon batch of water it should reach the over flow. I can then use the filter socks. Time to find the mighty magnet and get that fun daily routine started. I have the canister on my 55 gal observation tank and can't use it here. It worked on my 125 gal, when I was dumb and didn't know you rinsed sand.. I used floss and a pleated paper filter and had it clear in less than 1 day.
thanks for the reply. i rinsed my sand for about 2 hours in batches in 5 gallon buckets. and i cant seem to get them crystal clear like regular water. is that normal? or is it suppose to be clear like water after you properly rinsed it

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply. i rinsed my sand for about 2 hours in batches in 5 gallon buckets. and i cant seem to get them crystal clear like regular water. is that normal? or is it suppose to be clear like water after you properly rinsed it
I can not get it perfectly clear using a bucket. So me = no. I can not speak for others. If made a screen over a 100 gal rubbermaid tub and poured water thru it I prob could. I will stir the sand in the tank a few times and blow off the rocks until I get very little dust and call it a day.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try using Kent Marine Pro-clear. It's Reef Safe. I think it just gives the fine particles something to bond to and makes it easier for the filter to remove the fine particles. Worked great for my tank in the beginning.

1518969588299766448333.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back