Tank/Sump Cycling

AADEGROOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just upgraded my system and have never cycled a tank that had a sump. I know the whole ratio of dead rock (DR) to live rock (LR), subtrates, etc. My questions rests on where do I place my LR or DR.

Do I put all LR in the sump? Some LR and DR in sump? All LR in tank with the DR in sump?

I know that when it comes to LR/DR ratio, subtrates, cycling method are personal preference. I'm just looking to see what others have done. I also plan on soft cycling my tank.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set the display like you want it. You can run some in eh sump if you want. As far as Live VS dead. I had about 60 pounds of dead and bought around 15 to 20 of live and just set it up and let it work.

I Use Pure Ammonia from Ace hard ware to start the cycle, but a lot will advise ageist it.

Just remember if you have rock in your sumo it will need to be in a high flow area to keep water moving across it.

Hydrahawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want rocks in the sump??? I would aquascape your tank with all the rocks you have. I've never put rocks in my sump. As far as sand goes, I've used dried sand and made sure I raisned the sand really well. I would put all the sand in the tank and ask my friend(s) for a scoop or two of their sand to seed your tank.

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of tank are you planning to start up? If you've never used a sump before I'm guessing it was FOWLR and you used a power or canister on it?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter how you do it, all the goodies if in the sump will eventually end up in the DT anyways. So if you like the looks of the DR over the LR, then throw all the DR in the DT. Its really all up to your eyes. Theres no reason to do one or the other, as they are all going to be in the same water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back