Tank temp unstable, cooling options?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has been overheating since the start of summer and I've run my ac on max but the temp is not stable. I'm looking for a stable solution to this, please help! I'd like to avoid a chiller due to all the horror stories but if it can't be helped I'll get a chiller and keep an eye on it! Thank you

I was looking at this chiller and wanted to know if it would be fine? https://www.jlaquatics.com/ecoplus-1-4-hp-aquarium-chiller-with-single-stage-controller.html

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in South Florida with a reef tank in a room full west... so here is my experience:
Install infra red film on windows in the reef room (transparent, you cannot tell they are here). Maintain your AC at most at 80. Install EXTRACTION fan in your sump cabinet ( 1 or 2 CPU fan, pointing from inside to outside of the cabinet sump / and/or canopy will help). Cooling fan blowing air onto the reef tank or onto the sump can help. It will result in evaporation which will means you better have 2 things: ATO and a dehumidifier in the house.

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 degree fluctuations daily and what is evaporative cooling? :)

I probably get the same (between 77 and 79F) daily without issue on my LPS/Softie tank. I was under the impression that's not a big deal and my corals seem happy enough. Granted, the tank is a little over a month old so I could be wrong...?

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some

F6E17995-614A-49F2-9624-3E9BE7A0FB57.png

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in South Florida with a reef tank in a room full west... so here is my experience:
Install infra red film on windows in the reef room (transparent, you cannot tell they are here). Maintain your AC at most at 80. Install EXTRACTION fan in your sump cabinet ( 1 or 2 CPU fan, pointing from inside to outside of the cabinet sump / and/or canopy will help). Cooling fan blowing air onto the reef tank or onto the sump can help. It will result in evaporation which will means you better have 2 things: ATO and a dehumidifier in the house.

Need to setup my ato and i dont have a dehumidifier unfortunately

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably get the same (between 77 and 79F) daily without issue on my LPS/Softie tank. I was under the impression that's not a big deal and my corals seem happy enough. Granted, the tank is a little over a month old so I could be wrong...?

Sps are peeling despite good flow and stable parameters

ginoandres

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too live in Florida and keep my AC at 77. The main vent is directed at my 20g cube tank and the temperature pretty much stays between 77 and 79 depending on time of day. All corals seem happy and healthy with this setup.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 can add more heat than LED's. just seeing if you were running halides. You can get a bank of fans with temp control on it from amazon labelled as aquarium fans. Keep in mind if the humidity is super high evaporative cooling won't work to well and you'd have to go chiller route. @Reefdudes just did a live stream on you tube yesterday about temperature control. Maybe some info in there.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back