OP
T

taki123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input guys! I will check my pump to see if it’s overheating and also look into installing some fans to help keep cool

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @90's reefer says. Turn off the UV for a day or two and see if the temp lowers/stops climbing. Then, try turning off any other non essential devices for a similar time if the UV makes no difference.

I also have a 425XL running 2 x ReefLed 90's but with a TMC 4000 pump and BM Curve 5 skimmer. I have no UV or roller filter and I need two 300w heaters to maintain 25 deg C during colder months. Only during the recent heat wave in the UK has the temp ever risen above 25 on its own.

OP
OP
T

taki123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @90's reefer says. Turn off the UV for a day or two and see if the temp lowers/stops climbing. Then, try turning off any other non essential devices for a similar time if the UV makes no difference.

I also have a 425XL running 2 x ReefLed 90's but with a TMC 4000 pump and BM Curve 5 skimmer. I have no UV or roller filter and I need two 300w heaters to maintain 25 deg C during colder months. Only during the recent heat wave in the UK has the temp ever risen above 25 on its own.
Oh wow that’s very interesting. So I turned off the uv steriliser and the pump that goes with it off yesterday and today I’ve seen the temperature come down to 26.8C. Seems to be stable there currently so I’ll keep monitoring it for a day or two. If it stays on that temp consistently it’s fine I guess.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve had some consistent and abnormally hot weather in London lately - Im surprised you manage to keep the room temperature steady at 20. Do you use aircon?

I dont think your temps are abnormal for the weather we are having - Most of us in the UK are exteriencing raised temps and as long as its steady and not too high it isnt anything to really worry about for the most part.

Now if we get our usual "poor" weather back and the temp still stays up there then id say you obviously have equipment giving too much heat off but right now weve experienced a good month consistently of unusually hot weather so most peoples tanks are running higher than usual.

One of the best and easiest cures is a clip on fan across the water surface on a temperature controller, like an inkbird. A pretty underated method for cooling the water, especially in the UK where this hot weather isnt the norm.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that’s very interesting. So I turned off the uv steriliser and the pump that goes with it off yesterday and today I’ve seen the temperature come down to 26.8C. Seems to be stable there currently so I’ll keep monitoring it for a day or two. If it stays on that temp consistently it’s fine I guess.
How close is the back of the cabinet to a wall, out of interest?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is running very hot for no heater in 68 deg ambient temp. Touch your equipment and see what's hot.

OP
OP
T

taki123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is running very hot for no heater in 68 deg ambient temp. Touch your equipment and see what's hot.
I’ve touched all my equipment and nothing seems to actually feel hot under the water. Not sure why it’s still nearly at 27C whilst the room temp is around 20C today

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back