Tank too big for beginner?

Sequest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Completely new to the hobby, spent the last 2 months just reading and watching videos.
Generally I see a recommendation for larger tanks for a new reefer due to ease (slowness) of water parameter swings.
But is there a point in which a tank can become too big and overwhelming for a beginner, or do you believe there is no such thing?

I have a 2700mm wall, and a 2100mm (7ft) tank would fit lovely. A smaller tank will fit as well, just a lot of spare room. Cost aside, am I setting myself up for pain with such a large tank as my first tank?
Alternates I am consider is a 600mm cube, however I do think I will regret a smaller tank and within a year probably want to upgrade. And the cost between a small and larger tank are much less than having to buy a large tank after a year.
Or a 1200mm (4ft). Which is a happy medium from what I can see.

The larger tank is more appealing, but as a newbie I am likely to lose coral and fish and have all of the usual algae problems. Larger tank, more coral, more fish, more potential for loss.
On the flip side, smaller tank, less to lose. But given my desire already for a larger tank, this could be seen as a costly stepping stone.
And ofcourse, what proof do i have that I will find this an enjoyable hobby and wish to continue long term? Trying to offload a 7ft aquarium would be difficult.

What would you do as a newbie?

Cheers.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly was in the same situation not too long ago. I personally went with a smaller 75 gallon tank and kept it fowlr for a year. This was your standard aqueon cheap tank. This made sure I can keep stable parameters and get used to the maintenance that comes with it. Now I just got a bigger 200 gallon tank and I feel like due to my practice with a 75 gallon tank, this tank comes much easier. Just the things I picked up on through how to plan out water changes, maintenance, feeding, and other regular task with a 75 gallon helps with the 200 gallon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,
Completely new to the hobby, spent the last 2 months just reading and watching videos.
Generally I see a recommendation for larger tanks for a new reefer due to ease (slowness) of water parameter swings.
But is there a point in which a tank can become too big and overwhelming for a beginner, or do you believe there is no such thing?

I have a 2700mm wall, and a 2100mm (7ft) tank would fit lovely. A smaller tank will fit as well, just a lot of spare room. Cost aside, am I setting myself up for pain with such a large tank as my first tank?
Alternates I am consider is a 600mm cube, however I do think I will regret a smaller tank and within a year probably want to upgrade. And the cost between a small and larger tank are much less than having to buy a large tank after a year.
Or a 1200mm (4ft). Which is a happy medium from what I can see.

The larger tank is more appealing, but as a newbie I am likely to lose coral and fish and have all of the usual algae problems. Larger tank, more coral, more fish, more potential for loss.
On the flip side, smaller tank, less to lose. But given my desire already for a larger tank, this could be seen as a costly stepping stone.
And ofcourse, what proof do i have that I will find this an enjoyable hobby and wish to continue long term? Trying to offload a 7ft aquarium would be difficult.

What would you do as a newbie?

Cheers.
Believe me when I say never too big. Being a large tank(s) owner, you will get to the point where you will fall in love with many fish and coral and feel blessed to have the room for them

OP
OP
S

Sequest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a LOT of hidden costs in this hobby...are you sure cost doesn't matter at all?
Cost certainly is a matter. My initial costings are within budget for all options, and there is some optional extras I am considering (like GHL Profilux etc) baked into that cost. But I understand; I have not factored in livestock costs and other costs, which probably will blow the budget. Although it is also a matter of what must be purchased now vs what is "nice to have" and can wait a few months.

Honestly the biggest issue I see right now is availability of components. Almost everything is out of stock here in Australia. Two of my LFS i have approached no longer stock Neptune equipment, as its near impossible to get your hands on it. Other items have estimates of months for delivery.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the ideal tank size for those new to the hobby is 120 gallons (4x2x2). Big enough to buffer parameters, small enough for two people to move it empty, perfect dimensions for aquascaping, just enough space for some big fish, somewhat cheap, and easy to find in many brands. That's just my opinion, though. You could do the 7 footer, just be prepared to work a little harder, and spend a little more. I hope that this helps!

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as cost really is not an issue I would go with the bigger tank. Just take it slow and be patient and you should not experience a lot of loss. most losses occur because people rush into things.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost certainly is a matter. My initial costings are within budget for all options, and there is some optional extras I am considering (like GHL Profilux etc) baked into that cost. But I understand; I have not factored in livestock costs and other costs, which probably will blow the budget. Although it is also a matter of what must be purchased now vs what is "nice to have" and can wait a few months.

Honestly the biggest issue I see right now is availability of components. Almost everything is out of stock here in Australia. Two of my LFS i have approached no longer stock Neptune equipment, as its near impossible to get your hands on it. Other items have estimates of months for delivery.
I'd probably go slightly smaller size and spend the extra money filling it up and getting the nicest equipment available personally...it's really hard to go under budget and it would kill me to get it all set up and realize I didn't have enough money left to fill it with the corals and fish to make it the way I wanted haha

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger tanks are easier. You get more algae eating fish, more room for error, more room for things to grow, etc.

HOWEVER

I overwhelmingly implore you to have a coral and fish QT or just a coral qt and buy the fish from a pre qt'd vendor. Dealing with disease once that tank is packed would be miserable and VERY costly if the fish all die.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ofcourse, what proof do i have that I will find this an enjoyable hobby and wish to continue long term?
This is what I was going to bring up, but you’ve already thought about it.
This hobby can be really frustrating IMO, especially in the first few years. It’s not uncommon that someone doesn’t get the instant beautiful tank that they see online and end up giving up the hobby before their tank even has a chance to mature.

If money isn’t an issue then the only disadvantage that I see of a big tank is if you plan on doing manual water changes. Just be prepared to roll trash cans of water around instead of buckets. Or better yet setup an AWC.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with jmichaelh7 as I started with a 180gallon years ago. Then added a 90gallon cube ended up giving that one to a friend. Then another 100 gallon long and have been using the 180 for a softies grow out tank and our 100 for more sps, acros. These two displays were both grow outs for our dream build of 1400gallons in the new house.
We have now started our 300 gallon build that I got a deal and I couldn't pass, we will be combining both tanks into this one.
We are still waiting on our house and with the chaos of prices for everything we are not sure when we will be moving.
Anyhow if this is something you feel you're passionate about and can dedicate a little time I'd definitely go as big as you can. No since in spending cash twice on tanks, cabinets, sumps and so on.

Good luck with your build.

Happy reefing.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an idea: what if, as a part of your huge tank build, you set up something like a 40 breeder with the plan that it will eventually be either your coral qt or frag tank.

You could gain valuable experience that will help guide your massive build, and you can get a head start on growing up some particularly special frags for your big display. Do the 40 breeder first and get the hang of it, then in 6 months start your $50kusd build. It will take six months to complete and your corals will be ready to transfer.

As long as you use real live rock, it should be up and running reasonably quickly.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was going to bring up, but you’ve already thought about it.
This hobby can be really frustrating IMO, especially in the first few years. It’s not uncommon that someone doesn’t get the instant beautiful tank that they see online and end up giving up the hobby before their tank even has a chance to mature.

If money isn’t an issue then the only disadvantage that I see of a big tank is if you plan on doing manual water changes. Just be prepared to roll trash cans of water around instead of buckets. Or better yet setup an AWC.

If they set up a nice refugium, quality carbon, etc., they could probably avoid water changes or at least cut down on them dramatically.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they set up a nice refugium, quality carbon, etc., they could probably avoid water changes. I find that the larger the tank, the less reliable water changes are to do anything helpful.
I’m currently (my opinion could likely change) a proponent of water changes, but I agree they are absolutely not necessary for a successful tank. That was just the only negative that I could think of for a larger tank without the negative being money related.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back