Tank transfer- bristle worms/hair algea/cycling

hsnydn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have 10Gallon tank with hob filter and hob protein skimmer, having 2 clown and mid and small size 10-15 kinds of corals, mushrooms, milka stylopora, micromussa, leptoseris, birdnest, montipora digitata, plating monti, hammers, zoas etc. I decided to upgrade my tank with bigger size. Logically it would not take much time to transfer by using existing cycled rock and some filter media. However, time by time i started to create some criteria in my mind:
1- I know bristle worms are good guys, i didnt care about them in my previous and the first tank but they are hiding almost everywhere. For the new tank, I was planning to use existing ceramic rings and seachem matrix from the filter. Just to check, I opened the filter bag, i could see 5-6 of them. Probably there are more smaller babies and eggs too. I dont know it is going to be a solution if i rinse the media with saltwater and check each single media particule and brush one by one. Anyone has experience for this?
2- I already decided not to use existing sand and rock, some of them have hair algea but all off them having the same bristle worms. I can go for live rock, but this is open for the same issue and may be more creatures depends on what the rock has.
3- The only remaining thing is the water to be used for cycling, but as i know benefical bacterias doesnt exist in the water. İf i use it, will it be better than nothing or useless?

So by this way, it is going to be new tank set up almost instead of transfering.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're starting with brand new rock, then the tank will have to cycle again until nitrifying bacteria grows on the rocks, the tank will not be cycled just by transferring water.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are describing will result in basically a new tank and new cycle if you do not use that rock. Just buy some prazi pro and dip the rocks in a concentration of it in a 5 gallon bucket with tank water. The bristle worms will fall off of the rock. You can also do hypo or hyper salinity as a dip for the rocks, IME hypo works better, the worms will come out of the rocks for you.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back