Tank transfer... use new dry or wet sand?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be doing a tank transfer in the next couple of days. I want to use CaribSea Special Grade reef sand. I figured I have to rinse it so it doesn’t cloud the tank. So, should I go with the 20lb wet bags or get the 40lb dry bag? If I’m rinsing I thought I’d just wash away any benefit to having the bacteria in the wet bag. Thoughts please.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with Caribsea Special grade live sand then you don't rinse it, you just dump it in the tank. The water in the bag has a lot of the bacteria. I just dumped 140 pounds of Special grade live sand in my tank. The tank will always look a little cloudy initially, but it settles down. I didn't even use the little packets they have in the bag to help settle the sand down and it was clear within several hours.
BB6FC0DD-B952-454B-A7F8-CEE7041DD0D4.jpeg

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a tank transfer, is there any need for bacteria with the sand. Assuming you are moving all of your rock? Take the cheapest option.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a tank transfer, is there any need for bacteria with the sand. Assuming you are moving all of your rock? Take the cheapest option.

I’m going from a 16 gallon BioCube to Nuvo 40. I’m adding a couple rocks but I’m not sure if I need the bacteria in the sand or if I should just go with dry sand. I wanted to rinse it so I don’t have to deal with cloudiness.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with Caribsea Special grade live sand then you don't rinse it, you just dump it in the tank. The water in the bag has a lot of the bacteria. I just dumped 140 pounds of Special grade live sand in my tank. The tank will always look a little cloudy initially, but it settles down. I didn't even use the little packets they have in the bag to help settle the sand down and it was clear within several hours.
BB6FC0DD-B952-454B-A7F8-CEE7041DD0D4.jpeg

I was just nervous about the cloudiness adding to the stress everything will be under with a switch in tanks.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be doing a tank transfer in the next couple of days. I want to use CaribSea Special Grade reef sand. I figured I have to rinse it so it doesn’t cloud the tank. So, should I go with the 20lb wet bags or get the 40lb dry bag? If I’m rinsing I thought I’d just wash away any benefit to having the bacteria in the wet bag. Thoughts please.
If you rinse in saltwater it should be fine, but if you want to make life easier and rinse in fresh water then yeah might as well go dry.

Do you have sand in your current tank?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just nervous about the cloudiness adding to the stress everything will be under with a switch in tanks.
When transferring, do you have anytime to setup the new tank before moving live stock over?

I didn't, my new tank was going in the same spot, so I ended up setting up a 40b to move the livestock over to.

You can go dry and rinse beforehand and let it dry out before doing the transfer.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When transferring, do you have anytime to setup the new tank before moving live stock over?

I didn't, my new tank was going in the same spot, so I ended up setting up a 40b to move the livestock over to.

You can go dry and rinse beforehand and let it dry out before doing the transfer.

The tank is not going in the same spot but I don’t have the gear to keep two tanks going. I’m just going to make the switch. My 16 gallon has exactly 12 gallons of water. I’m going to save this weeks water change water and possibly next weeks. That gives me 15 gallons of old water to use and I’ll make 30 new. I’m using my current rock scape and adding a couple new rocks. I’m going to rinse the new rocks with RODI and have them in a bucket with this weeks water change water. I was going to rinse the sand with RODI so I figured the wet sand with bacteria would be a waste. It’s $80 for two 20-pound bags, whereas the dry is $50 for 40-pounds.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rinse in saltwater it should be fine, but if you want to make life easier and rinse in fresh water then yeah might as well go dry.

Do you have sand in your current tank?

I do have sand in the current tank. I was going to take two handfuls and rinse in saltwater to get the nasties out and then bag it and put in my overflows so I have the bacteria.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry is fine.... even with rinsing, you will still have some cloudiness. That's normal. If you are concerned about biodiversity, add supplemental bacteria in a bottle. You are not adding anything extra to the bioload so it really isn't necessary.
@Billldg had a good idea, you can rinse the sand and let it dry out. You can also get your sand and water going in the new tank and bring it up to temperature the day before. All you need for gear is a heater and maybe a small wave maker. Get your salinity and temp aligned and then move the rock.... then the fish.

Pwnm30rdi3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry sand and things are largely fine, I rinsed a few times with tap water to reduce cloudiness. I am experiencing a diatom and cyano bloom on the sand bed about 8 weeks later. My guess is the silicates from the sand are fueling the growth. I’m just going to let it burn it off naturally.

Besides the ugly sand bed I’m seeing coralline growth and stable parameters.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry sand and things are largely fine, I rinsed a few times with tap water to reduce cloudiness. I am experiencing a diatom and cyano bloom on the sand bed about 8 weeks later. My guess is the silicates from the sand are fueling the growth. I’m just going to let it burn it off naturally.

Besides the ugly sand bed I’m seeing coralline growth and stable parameters.

Do you think the tap water caused any of that? I was going to rinse with RODI.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry is fine.... even with rinsing, you will still have some cloudiness. That's normal. If you are concerned about biodiversity, add supplemental bacteria in a bottle. You are not adding anything extra to the bioload so it really isn't necessary.
@Billldg had a good idea, you can rinse the sand and let it dry out. You can also get your sand and water going in the new tank and bring it up to temperature the day before. All you need for gear is a heater and maybe a small wave maker. Get your salinity and temp aligned and then move the rock.... then the fish.

I love the idea of new sand and water the day before. Thank you for the advice.

Pwnm30rdi3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the tap water caused any of that? I was going to rinse with RODI.

Certainly a possibility, it takes a lot of water to properly rinse dry sand. I’d say I spent about an hour per 20lbs of sand with the water constantly running in the bucket until it was clear.

After rinsing, I let the sand dry out and then spread it in the tank.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the odd chance, it’s harboring anything and I see all over the forums people say new sand.
Oh but it's gonna still be the same fish and stuff right? If it harbors anything I would presume it would be an issue regardless?

Honestly I never use new sand in tank transfers so kinda confused about all of this.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh but it's gonna still be the same fish and stuff right? If it harbors anything I would presume it would be an issue regardless?

Honestly I never use new sand in tank transfers so kinda confused about all of this.

When I say harboring something, I mean I never touch my sand bed. So it’s never been disturbed. Who knows what that’ll do to my nutrient levels. I think I’d rather use new sand.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly a possibility, it takes a lot of water to properly rinse dry sand. I’d say I spent about an hour per 20lbs of sand with the water constantly running in the bucket until it was clear.

After rinsing, I let the sand dry out and then spread it in the tank.

I have these busboy tubs. I figured I’d run my RODI into one and mix it up allowing the cloudy water to overflow. I’ll do it till it runs clear. I’m thinking the increased surface area of the tub versus the bag will let me rinse it quicker? Not sure though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back