Tank transfer... use new dry or wet sand?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these busboy tubs. I figured I’d run my RODI into one and mix it up allowing the cloudy water to overflow. I’ll do it till it runs clear. I’m thinking the increased surface area of the tub versus the bag will let me rinse it quicker? Not sure though.
Rinse with tap water, a few times, then final rinse with rodi.

warrencheng25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with Caribsea Special grade live sand then you don't rinse it, you just dump it in the tank. The water in the bag has a lot of the bacteria. I just dumped 140 pounds of Special grade live sand in my tank. The tank will always look a little cloudy initially, but it settles down. I didn't even use the little packets they have in the bag to help settle the sand down and it was clear within several hours.
BB6FC0DD-B952-454B-A7F8-CEE7041DD0D4.jpeg
Did you do this for a new tank or you were transferring tanks? I am planning to transfer but don't know if i should use wet or dry

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't use sand period, if you are doing TTM, provide cover via a pvc pipe etc but that's about it. they'll be in that tank for 36 hours max depending on the variant of TTM you are doing.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do this for a new tank or you were transferring tanks? I am planning to transfer but don't know if i should use wet or dry
I used new sand for the new tank. I didn't want any issues popping up down the road.;)

warrencheng25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used new sand for the new tank. I didn't want any issues popping up down the road.;)
Ok so wet sand and reuse the water in your old tank should be fine. Do you let the tank ran for awhile before transferring your live stock?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so wet sand and reuse the water in your old tank should be fine. Do you let the tank ran for awhile before transferring your live stock?
I soaked about 50 percent of my aquascape in brute trash cans with actual live rock, so I started to add some fish within a few days and some LPS frags as well. Tank has been running for about 3 weeks now, so I will start to add more fish. I will add 4 wrasses and 1 tang in a few weeks, and 4 more tangs a few weeks after that.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back