Tank Trials: Ultra Low Maintenance Tanks | BRStv Investigates

leolirao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to hear if the biology triangle of using specific lighting, filtration, and chemistry solutions to achieve a specific biology or goal with the tank is a valuable concept to the community.

As a component of developing this weeks video, I really felt like this got to the heart of "there are 100 ways to maintain a reef tank debate," and one is not better than another unless you fully understand the user's goals for the tank.

At first glance "affordable biology" might not seem like a real thing but I think it pus a laser focus on many reefers goals. "I want a successful reef tank and I don't want to break the bank." Same could be said of biology goals like NPS, LPS, softy, best, easiest, lowest maintenance, ultra color, ultra growth, high tech, low tech, natural, diverse, ultra cheap, really any number of common goals reefers have for their tanks.

If we can ID the actual goals I think we can transform the debate into something more useful to those asking for help from the community to achieve them : )

So in that spirit, what type of biology is your tank or what would you like it to be? What are some of the best lighting, chemistry and filtration solutions for that goal?
Hi Ryan
I'm Leonardo from Brazil, The Triton method is not avaible from us, in your opinion with os the best way to maintain softies tanks?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys tried one of these bulbs for the fuge? They may put off heat, but they are CHEAP and from what I have seen powerful @d2mini had one on his tank a few years back, and the macro growth was off the charts.

https://www.htgsupply.com/products/floralux-150-watt-hps-mini-grow-light

I went back through his old tank thread and found a post about it. Here it is from day one to day 11

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d2minis-200g-reeftastic-reef-part-deux.178519/page-14#post-2173087

Then on day 19.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d2minis-200g-reeftastic-reef-part-deux.178519/page-15#post-2182433

Everyone keeps talking about working on a budget, and these lights look like they may work on par (no pun intended) with some of the more expensive LED systems, even if they do put out more heat and the bulbs (cheap) need to be replaced.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to hear if the biology triangle of using specific lighting, filtration, and chemistry solutions to achieve a specific biology or goal with the tank is a valuable concept to the community.

As a component of developing this weeks video, I really felt like this got to the heart of "there are 100 ways to maintain a reef tank debate," and one is not better than another unless you fully understand the user's goals for the tank.

At first glance "affordable biology" might not seem like a real thing but I think... If we can ID the actual goals I think we can transform the debate into something more useful to those asking for help from the community to achieve them : )

Good point. I remember thinking this exact thing when I first watched Dashti's MACNA talk, awhile ago. It hit me how the biology triangle concept might become a symbolic concept typically referred to by reefers to mentally organize a reef keeping discussion about what goals are most important to them. I was like, "That (the biology triangle concept) makes a lot of sense to put it that way. Wow, finally someone came up with an idea that might be very useful as a universal concept when we talk about our reef systems" The thing is, I've never heard of anyone referring to it whenever there's reefing talk - although it should be!

Initially, I think one major thing that's missing is a standard accepted definition of what equipment a high end and low end reef system are comprised of and a comparison between the two? Maybe that would give discussions an initial gauge or upper and lower category limit against which their particular systems might be classified. I think the only thing that comes close to that concept right now is owning a "nano tank" setup, so we're always judging by system size, if you see what I mean. I think it would be nice if it could be size and also the biology triangle.

I'm still putting my thoughts together on the whole idea. I think it might be a good subject for someone to write an article on? But yeah I agree with you that the biology triangle concept should come into reefing discussion a lot more, as it makes us reefers more conscious about how we manage our systems.

So in that spirit, what type of biology is your tank or what would you like it to be? What are some of the best lighting, chemistry and filtration solutions for that goal?

My personal goals right now for my setup is to have a place to house some of the reef inhabitants that I find interesting, that I can wild collect. Now that I'm here in forever summer land, it's awesome to be able to go diving on a whim. The added option of being able to bring some flora and fauna back from my diving or snorkeling day trips and have them be viewable at home anytime I look at the tank adds another dimension to reef keeping for me. I only have a small system right now (60g cube) and I'm happy with that. Maybe later I'll want something a little larger so goals change and systems evolve.

I use an all natural system where I'm just using NSW instead of a lot of reefing equipment that most reefers use for their systems.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs hope you had a great vacation.

Quick question on the gyre setup. I noticed that in the last 160 update the sand had blown clear off the center of the tank. Looks like that was not the case in this most recent one. Thoughts on what changed to keep the sand in place now?

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we decide not to do the full on triton method, can we still mail in samples and receive their .02 on how to handle our tanks?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs hope you had a great vacation.

Quick question on the gyre setup. I noticed that in the last 160 update the sand had blown clear off the center of the tank. Looks like that was not the case in this most recent one. Thoughts on what changed to keep the sand in place now?

We are having a good time : )

The nature of any very high flow solution is it does push the sand around. The shifting turbulence, in this case, reduces that to a significant degree but we do need to push it back occasionally. I may play with running them in reverse for some portion of the cycle to see if we can do it less manually.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we decide not to do the full on triton method, can we still mail in samples and receive their .02 on how to handle our tanks?

Yup, I think I will likely start doing that once or twice a year on any tank, just to make sure what I am doing is on track. In this case, I wouldn't be looking for minor deviations. I am looking for big issues that would indicate something I am doing is causing a significant chemistry issue and give me a chance to do something about it before it causes problems in the tank. Then try to identify what was causing it. In some ways, I think you could consider testing chemistry like this similar to an annual trip to the Vet. Rather than waiting for the visual signs of kidney failure or something similar, there is an opportunity to get in front of it.

I know some reefers may disagree with me but I think prior to this type of testing we were just shooting in the dark with a dose and pray approach to many aspects of the tanks chemistry. Largely relying on visual cues that the tanks biology is deteriorating and then guessing as to why that might be. However if there were a ten point scale of coral health with ten being a theoretical best, most corals are likely only going to show signs of health deterioration around a 5 or 6 and they will likely be so subtle that only the most in-tune reefers would notice them. Fact is many reefers likely won't identify an issue until the corals are showing signs serious health issues like tissue recession or even loss of tissue. By then this is is like a 1-4 on the health scale and often too late to do something about it , even if you immediately knew the correct thing to do.

I think these types of tests give us a window into the chemistry and coral biology or health "before" we see the visual cues. one of the better examples shared with me was by a gentleman at reef-a-palooza this year. His Triton tests showed high copper and no matter what he did it would always rise back up. Long story short it turned out a component of his homes HVAC system was forming condensation and very slowly dripping into sump. Without these types of tests he every likely would have never known he had high copper much less identified the source and very likely would have got frustrated with this otherwise unexplainable coral mortality and shut down the tank. I have also heard a similar stories from testing and identifying rusty pumps or similar equipment failures in the tank.

So a long winded, Yes. Insight into the tanks chemistry will be valuable with any system or method : )

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how do I uploaded the XF250 FILE for my system?

I’ll look into a other ways to share the programming outside of the advanced programming we shared in the video discription. :)

Hi guys, can you recommend a basic method to mimic your Gyre settings using the Maxspect controller?
I’ve been trying a few different Auto program modes with different ramp up and down times but I don’t seem to be getting the end result I’m after. Id certainly appreciate some guidance on controller programming if anyone’s willing and able.

I think the closest we saw that could somewhat achieve what we were able to with the Apex would be the Gradual Pulsing mode with pump A and B linked in a Reverse Time Delay cycle. I can’t say it will do the same that Ryan mentions in this video, but from the looks of their flow graphs in the manual it looks fairly similar.

-Randy

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULM Tank Trials Ep-10: Mr. Saltwater Tank and Ultra Low Maintenance | BRStv

While Ryan is away on vacation, we've got a special guest hosting BRStv this week! We're excited to bring you this episode with Mr. Saltwater Tank and what ULM means to him. @mrsaltwatertank

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of respect for Mr Saltwater as well as almost anything BRS puts out. I wish this video would have gotten more into things like having no ability to maintenance the tank for 2 or 3 weeks and what systems are affected, what do you do with the skimmer, how does the auto water change work, do you simply auto feed dry foods, does ULM always imply no filter socks, what do you dose, etc.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can't say that video was helpful in any way, it gave no real information.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was only 5 min though; a good length. I generally get interrupted during longer vids and can't finish them. Longer vids could be a part 1 and 2.

I also get interrupted, but I should hate parts 1&2 on the same topic. Like of they discussed the topic in part 1 and then choose the equipment in part 2. That would drive me mad

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Friday is Richard Ross's Macna presentation on "the right kind of lazy". While he's not talking ULM's directly, this is 40 minutes of running your tank intelligently so it doesn't run you : )

Anyone see his presentation live?

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it was clearly stated that the 60 cubes and stands were selected for their visual appeal in the room giving acknowledgement to the space and accessibility restriction but I think that was far too much of a compromise. In my opinion, selection of an appropriate tank, stand and sump is one of the largest factors in achieving a low maintenance tank next to retaining a low bioload. I kept an all-in-one Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 prior to upgrading to my Red Sea Reefer 250 and it was really counter-intuitive to imagine that a larger volume system can be drastically less maintenance. In my case, overall accessibility of the tank, sump and housed equipment made the world of difference in my weekly maintenance. From an affordability perspective, the price of the tank, stand and sump is surprisingly one of the lesser expenses when considering a full reef system that is in operation for 2 or more years. Over such a period, the limitations and issues associated with working around a poorly thought out system in my mind is very much underestimated - particularly once you acknowledge that your time is money.

On a positive note, I love the series and discussion so far. I have a brand new Red Sea Peninsula 650 sitting in my garage and I don't plan on putting water in it until 2019. Designing the system to achieve ultra low maintenance is a top priority so I'll be following very closely =)

Deep Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update.
Have a great vacation
Do you think the response the tank is showing is because of its maturity or from the Triton?
I’m starting my tank with dry rock and from what people are saying it takes time for the biodiversity to develope. A lot of what you discussed in your last video.
Do you think the BRS 160 would be at the same point if you stayed with The zeo system vs tritium or even just your basic 2 part.
Thanks and keep up the great work.

Watching closely. I’ve read more than one posting where, if not monitored the reduced level of nutrients can cause the tank to crash.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it was clearly stated that the 60 cubes and stands were selected for their visual appeal in the room giving acknowledgement to the space and accessibility restriction but I think that was far too much of a compromise. In my opinion, selection of an appropriate tank, stand and sump is one of the largest factors in achieving a low maintenance tank next to retaining a low bioload. I kept an all-in-one Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 prior to upgrading to my Red Sea Reefer 250 and it was really counter-intuitive to imagine that a larger volume system can be drastically less maintenance. In my case, overall accessibility of the tank, sump and housed equipment made the world of difference in my weekly maintenance. From an affordability perspective, the price of the tank, stand and sump is surprisingly one of the lesser expenses when considering a full reef system that is in operation for 2 or more years. Over such a period, the limitations and issues associated with working around a poorly thought out system in my mind is very much underestimated - particularly once you acknowledge that your time is money.

On a positive note, I love the series and discussion so far. I have a brand new Red Sea Peninsula 650 sitting in my garage and I don't plan on putting water in it until 2019. Designing the system to achieve ultra low maintenance is a top priority so I'll be following very closely =)

Fair input :)

However, if we can do this on a 60 I think it may be even more successful on larger tanks. Issues and faulty concepts show themselves much faster on smaller tanks.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back