Tank Upgrade, Current rocks have a ton of Algae- Help

Bgemini531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI!

I have a 30 gallon hex that has been running for 8 months- I just purchased an IM Nuvo 50 lagoon. I need help planning out how to swap tanks. I have been treating my current tank with Vibrant for GHA and Bryopsis but have not yet won the battle. I was hoping to not move my current rock into the new tank to avoid bringing my Algae problem over. I have purchased 30lbs of Caribsea dry rock for the new tank. I really really need some advice.

Do I cycle the new rock in a Brute before set up?
Would you move the algae rock into the new tank?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best recommends for you:

- pick one persons offer and don't customize it or veer from it or select best-seeming portions, select one and use that method for best results.
- you are guaranteed the exact same battle on the new rocks in a few mos as vibrant is not what determines algae status in a nano reef, we determine that by willingness to let it be there or willingness to kill it off using means other than vibrant. the reason I'd move over new rocks is because you have a way to be algae free right now and in the future, no need for new rocks and a new battle in august.

if you choose new rocks yes you'd have to recycle.

here's how any 30 gallon nano on the planet can be algae free. you'd run this on your rocks as you move the stuff over to the new tank, without veering or customizing the method:

that one thread shows how to do your upgrade, see when he reassembles the living cleaned skip cycle reef in the same tank? swap for a new tank at that moment.

that one thread shows how any nano reef can be made algae free in two hours, no vibrant used. its literally a guarantee that no future nano reef you own will be invaded...having an invasion is now merely a choice to do work or not do work, its not an inevitable aspect of reefing any longer unless the tank is so big a rip clean can't be ran. then you'll need luck, lots of luck.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back