Tank Upgrade- Initial Fill Up

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start setting up my new 425XL. I am upgrading from a 40 gal Aquatop. Regarding filling up the tank for the first time, it will take me several days to make RODI, mix and heat the 112 gallons of water. I'm using a 32 gal Brute. The freshly mixed tank water will be heated up per the mixing instructions, then cooled down to room temperature while sitting in the tank, then heated up again once all of the water is in. Will this cause precipitation and/or other issues? Will this kill the bacteria in the live sand? I'm using Coral Pro salt. Are there any alternative methods to the initial fill process?

Also, I'll be bringing over my rock from the other tank. How do you account for displacement? Red Sea says to leave 6" from the top of the sump once filling is complete. Just leave a few extra inches during the initial fill?

Thanks from an overthinking newbie.

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill aquarium with RODI water first, then add the salt and turn on a pump to mix water. Then fill with sand, rock, and heat.
Understood. And just eyeball the amount needed for displacement of the sand and rock?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 5 x 5 gallon drums and started making rodi to fill them then added water to the overflow to make sure no leaks on the plumbing and the overflow seals itself ( got internal overflow inside tank then kept adding newly mixed rodi to the tank and kept adding daily for couple of days then kept adding so it overflowed down the overflow into the sump until got to water level i wanted then turned pumps on for few hours to test then added salt inside tank to get salinity i wanted for few hours then removed some water and added my 2 rock structures to dt then made sure all water levels correct then got some plastic pipe and a funnel and added sand down the funnel/ pipe to cause less sand storm ( pumps/ power heads off) then left it running and started cycling.
Yeah had little bit of wasted saltwater doing it this way but as was new to saltwater i thought best having salt mixing in system without rocks and sand as was scared undisolved salt would get in the sand and rocks ( probably wouldnt but was my concern ha ha )
Thats how i did it anyway.
I have read some just run the rodi water straight from rodi unit to dt with extra length of rodi tubing but as got young child and dog i didnt want risk tube getting knocked and flooding the floor lol but if i did this way,instructions on my rodi unit says only run rodi for 3 hours then rest the pump for little while then carry on.so because this i just dilled 2 x 5 gallon drums then stopped for 30 minutes or so then carried on ^_^

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some variables involved in tank transfers, bad outcome potentials not mentioned here

do you want to ensure those dont happen or have you started already

specific steps you can take make a skip cycle upgrade every time

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some variables involved in tank transfers, bad outcome potentials not mentioned here

do you want to ensure those dont happen or have you started already

specific steps you can take make a skip cycle upgrade every time
I've started filling the tank with RODI. I'm several days away from adding salt, sand and rock. I'll be using all new sand and keeping my rock from my current tank. I also plan on dosing Dr. Tim's after the water is heated and ready to go. Anything else you recommend?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start setting up my new 425XL. I am upgrading from a 40 gal Aquatop. Regarding filling up the tank for the first time, it will take me several days to make RODI, mix and heat the 112 gallons of water. I'm using a 32 gal Brute. The freshly mixed tank water will be heated up per the mixing instructions, then cooled down to room temperature while sitting in the tank, then heated up again once all of the water is in. Will this cause precipitation and/or other issues? Will this kill the bacteria in the live sand? I'm using Coral Pro salt. Are there any alternative methods to the initial fill process?

Also, I'll be bringing over my rock from the other tank. How do you account for displacement? Red Sea says to leave 6" from the top of the sump once filling is complete. Just leave a few extra inches during the initial fill?

Thanks from an overthinking newbie.
If it was me, I would have a heater in the DT to maintain the temperature of the first 32 gallons you add. Then mix, heat, add the next 32. No sense in letting the temperature drop back down if it doesn't have to. In the meanwhile, while it's half-filled, add your sand and scape. I'd also keep a powerhead running in the DT because I don't trust stagnant water (I might just be crazy).

If you're transferring rock from your current tank, you should have all of the beneficial bacteria needed to get started. Will you be adding more rock for the increased system size?

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would have a heater in the DT to maintain the temperature of the first 32 gallons you add. Then mix, heat, add the next 32. No sense in letting the temperature drop back down if it doesn't have to. In the meanwhile, while it's half-filled, add your sand and scape. I'd also keep a powerhead running in the DT because I don't trust stagnant water (I might just be crazy).

If you're transferring rock from your current tank, you should have all of the beneficial bacteria needed to get started. Will you be adding more rock for the increased system size?
Good points! We must be the same type of crazy because I'm going to throw a powerhead in now. The easiest way for me to do it will be to fill it up with RODI so that my return pump and heaters are covered, then get to mixing. After looking at the sump, I should have plenty of room to throw my sand and rock in post mix. I will be adding more CaribSea dry rock that's painted to look like live rock (can't remember the name...Life Rock maybe?)

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points! We must be the same type of crazy because I'm going to throw a powerhead in now. The easiest way for me to do it will be to fill it up with RODI so that my return pump and heaters are covered, then get to mixing. After looking at the sump, I should have plenty of room to throw my sand and rock in post mix. I will be adding more CaribSea dry rock that's painted to look like live rock (can't remember the name...Life Rock maybe?)
I went with Life Rock, too, along with some base (formerly live, but very much dried and sunbaked).

I only mention doing the scaping with the tank half-full because it will be easier to move things around (unless you're building a permascape that you can just drop in) when the tank isn't completely full.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like some others have suggested. You can add a heater to maintain temp but you can also add a power head once the water is high enough to get some movement. I would fill it mostly before adding salt though, no point in water mix, water mix etc etc. Just get the water in there and add the required salt amounts.

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Life Rock, too, along with some base (formerly live, but very much dried and sunbaked).

I only mention doing the scaping with the tank half-full because it will be easier to move things around (unless you're building a permascape that you can just drop in) when the tank isn't completely full.
Yea I've got my scape all put together. Just need to drop the pieces in! Figured I'd build it out before hand and make sure everything fits.

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like some others have suggested. You can add a heater to maintain temp but you can also add a power head once the water is high enough to get some movement. I would fill it mostly before adding salt though, no point in water mix, water mix etc etc. Just get the water in there and add the required salt amounts.
That was my thinking too. Then I'll have the final 32 gal mixed and ready to go for when I top it off after adding the scape and sand.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back