Tank Upgrade: What Would You Have Done Different?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From 90 to 120 is not a big different you will ask this question in 6 months. Unless space is not permitted don't upgrade just 30g bigger because u will running out of space very fast and Everytime u upgrade it will cost u more money.

rareform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27061733-39D2-4818-9498-5CC3DF83F03A.jpeg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 90 to 120 is not a big different you will ask this question in 6 months. Unless space is not permitted don't upgrade just 30g bigger because u will running out of space very fast and Everytime u upgrade it will cost u more money.
That’s exactly what we found after all our upgrades! Think we are almost happy with 2, 300 gal tanks and 93 cube! Lol but wish we had room for 500-600 gal. But house is too small and already looks like a public aquarium!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the absolutely largest tank you can fit - lots of $$$ wasted in incremental upgrades. Even with my current 450 I found myself thinking that I should have gone with 9’ instead of 8’. Oh well, too late now.

mikes686

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at getting a bigger tank. 90-125 is not a huge difference. Look at a 180. That 6 more inches in depth makes a huge difference. Opens up a lot of options. Most of the equipment is the same. My only complaint going from my 93 to 180 is my overflow choice.
Agreed, I went from 75 to 210, great decision. I have room underneath for a 40 breeder which is ample space for 2 4inch socks, RO 150 skimmer, refugium and return pump . I have a 10 g ATO and external UV and reactors.

Imnyifan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have any pics of the stand/sump system? Im almost final with my sump/stand design, would love to see what youre running.
Agree, a taller stand. Shop around at skimmers and look at their height and add a few more inches for O&M then room for pipes above that

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the tank height depends on how it's viewed. Our reef was set up higher, being near the kitchen where its seen standing or sitting at the bar counter. For viewing, it's great in that setting. I keep my hands out of the tank and have auto water changer, but occasionally use a two step stool for maintenance. Making the stand out of plywood and designed taller for stand viewing, gave extra room in the stand which I used to created a shelf to store the wires, transformers, outlets and battery back ups. It allowed room to organize complexity.

I think most would agree extra stand space is a premium. Unless you have a fish room, consider expanding the stand space where you can. It's like having extra money, you will likely use it :)

This is inside the stand with the shelf closet doors closed and open.

Last edited:

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about a year and a half into my first tank. I would have spent more time/money on my aquascape. I’m somewhat happy with it but I wish I would have spent the money on some of the nicer rock like Tonga and shelf.

U

User1

View Badges
One thing I found is that I had one vision when I ordered my tank but failed to account for contingency plans. I ordered a peninsula thinking I would put the tank in a wall so visible on both sides and set the overflow on the right side. Then later decided no and now it changes how I design the canopy and skin the stand.

Also upgrading tanks and depending on the size remember to consider you need more if increasing the gallons. I went from a 40 to 210 gallon. Normally a bag of salt would last a bit of time. When I went to go fill it up the first time I noticed I only bought one bag :( I needed three!!!! It is the little things like how much salt, RI/RO water storage, mixing, longer tools to perform work, etc. It was the little things like this that I kept tripping over that delayed setting the system up.

U

User1

View Badges
I’m about a year and a half into my first tank. I would have spent more time/money on my aquascape. I’m somewhat happy with it but I wish I would have spent the money on some of the nicer rock like Tonga and shelf.

True. My original plan was to use live rock from TBS. With two in college at the time I decided I couldn't really do that just yet so went with dry Pukani instead. While I like the Pukani and I'm having good success with it - it really was the wrong choice. My upgrade would have been a lot smoother and probably saved a few of my corals I transferred had I gone with my original plan.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Space is limited. I am really not fish heavy, more coral heavy. I have a massive toad stool (it is honestly huge) that takes up the center of my 90. What I like about the 125 is how long it is, this allows me to spread everything out. Also with the 125, I will not need to purchase any new lights, skimmer, or hardware as my skimmer is rated for 150 and i have 3 hydra 26s. I will likely upgrade in the future, but for the next year to two years, the 125 will suit me very well I believe.

I have minimal rock in my 90, I have my SPS arranged well. When the colonies over grow to excess, I frag them. I usally keep them around 6-10 inches in diameter. This allows me to have many medium sized colonies and they have been growing this way for years now. My only limiting factor is sandspace. My LPS (lobos, acans, bowers) have all added a few heads, and my derasa clam is growing as well. As my neon long poly green toadstool is enormous, if I got a 120, the increased depth would not satisfy my needs of more sand space as the huge toadstool would be pressed up against the rocks, however, I believe with the increased length of the 125, since I am transporting my sps aquascape from my 90 directly over unchanged, large areas of sand space will open to satisfy my sand dwelling corals, my clam, and my larger than life toadstool. Please let me know if this rationale is valid. Im often the one that says bigger is better, but i think the 125 is the best option for me at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the tank height depends on how it's viewed. Our reef was set up higher, being near the kitchen where its seen standing or sitting at the bar counter. For viewing, it's great in that setting. I keep my hands out of the tank and have auto water changer, but occasionally use a two step stool for maintenance. Making the stand out of plywood and designed taller for stand viewing, gave extra room in the stand which I used to created a shelf to store the wires, transformers, outlets and battery back ups. It allowed room to organize complexity.

I think most would agree extra stand space is a premium. Unless you have a fish room, consider expanding the stand space where you can. It's like having extra money, you will likely use it :)

This is inside the stand with the shelf closet doors closed and open.

Beautiful looking sump.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get you an exact measurement when I get home. I think the stand itself is 32 or 34 inches tall plus the 31 inch tank. Wasn't thinking when I made it I guess. Don't forget though to leave yourself enough room under the stump to be able to get equipment in and out. ie skimmer, reactors and such. Here is a pic of my setup.

20171209_122128.jpg

Did you build the ship in the upper left? I build the same one about 20 years ago.

Imnyifan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would switch to a ghost overflow style configuration. The corner overflows take up a significant amount of real estate

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank just over a year old now ...
I would of made the stand go all the way back to the wall .
I would of drilled into that wall and installed washing machine type drain ... For easier water change ...

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are dimension on 120? I would make sure you depth is 24 to 30 inches

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back