Tank upgrade

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I currently have a 20 long that has been running for a little over a year. I got a 40 breeder from a friend and was wondering if the upgrade would be doable. I don’t want to use a sump in my apartment so I need to use hob equipment. I currently just have a pair of clowns and some coral. I’d like to get more fish but I’m not sure if that will be a problem without a sump
Thanks for any help

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 40 breeder for over a year with only hob equipment it ran great it got to a point where all of my corals were touching at that point I decided I would like to upgrade so yes it is definitely do-able

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 40 breeder for over a year with only hob equipment it ran great it got to a point where all of my corals were touching at that point I decided I would like to upgrade so yes it is definitely do-
What kind of equipment did you run?

punziracing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Fiji Cube, they have a nice all in one unit that fits the 40B.
FIJI AIO 1.jpg

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was about eight years ago I picked it up from Petco when they were doing the dollar per gallon deal I just use an instant ocean hang on back protein skimmer they sold in store along with an aqua clear pump just to filter the water and I made a custom surface skimmer box that I attached to the hang on back aqua clear pump A maxijet 1200 for flow and 150 watt heater and I had a 4 bulb t5 light fixture Other than rock sand etc that was my whole setup and I legit never had any issues I did a 2 month cycle using half live half dry rock live sand bed and from the day I put my first fish and coral in till the day I upgraded it ran flawlessly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its doable w/o a sump esp with plenty of live rock, just stay on top of tank husbandry (WC) and should be fine.

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its doable w/o a sump esp with plenty of live rock, just stay on top of tank husbandry (WC) and should be fine.

exactly I never missed a week I would clean glass blow off all rocks with a turkey baster Clean skimmer cup rinse filter and do a 5 gallon water change

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies I think I’ll go for it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back