Tank upgrade

Steward92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I'm currently upgrading my tank from a 190L to a 450L FOWLR system.

I have added dry arka rock, dry sand and filled with salt water to roughly the same level as old tank.

I have added Dr Tims one and only to the tank to kick start the dry rocck and sand. My next step is to syphon water from old tank and use this to clean the live rock and place it in the new tank. I only use an external filter on my old tank but I will be taking out the media and also giving it a rinse and placing in somemesh bags in my new sump.

My question is.... Will this new tank be ready for me to add my livestock without experiencing any kid of ammonia spikes or the like which could kill my fish?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer: yes. I wouldn't necessarily go out and completely stock your new 450L system, but you can at least move over all your existing livestock. I'd wait a week, monitor your parameters and make sure everything is doing good before adding anything new.

OP
OP
S

Steward92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the swift reply Blaxsun. I will wait a good while till I get more fish and keep checking my parameters.

OP
OP
S

Steward92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish and rocks are in and lights are out. Very much hard work but got there in the end. Not without breaking a sweat along the way that's for sure. I shall keep updating.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed w Blaxsun

since your sand is already set that removed the biggest headache part of it all.

OP
OP
S

Steward92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers guys. Fish are still scared of the new tank fed a couple of times and most pop out grab some and go back into the rocks. One I have not seen at all since the move is my firefish but he or she wasn't out a great deal in the last tank but I always knew where to find her.

Overall, So far so good and parameters are good..

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be surprised if you don’t go through some cycling. Watch your parameters no if needed douse with prime.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back