Tank very cloudy green algae film on glass

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I don’t know if this is the right thread so for the last 3 weeks I’ve been dealing with a cyano and Dino algae I believe, after my last water change my sand bed has a thin film of green algae and I have some on the glass but there are none on the rocks. But my phosphates are testing 0 and my nitrates are 0 as well and my corals look annoyed.
what can cause this ? Because I know I have nutrients if I have algae on the glass but what could cause the 0 results ?
testing with a Hanna ULR reader
And NYOs nitrate test

I’ve attached 2 pictures of what my tank looked like during the outbreak and what it looks like after.

9FEE0E2D-90DB-4978-8AB8-770359E236DC.jpeg 2DF0142B-6FC0-4F32-96F5-5BE6B87F7E6B.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture looks like normal green film algae. Your tests may show 0 for nutrients, but that is what is "free" which doesn't take into account what is being consumed by your corals, etc...

The second pic looks like cyano...possibly some dinos, but can't confirm this without some good microscope pics.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not abnormal and something I deal with 1-2 days per week in a very mature tank. Magnetic algae scraper/cleaners will do wonders with this as will some turbo , astrea, cerith, nerite and margarita snails

1619651757912.png
1619651769712.png

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not abnormal and something I deal with 1-2 days per week in a very mature tank. Magnetic algae scraper/cleaners will do wonders with this as will some turbo , astrea, cerith, nerite and margarita snails

1619651757912.png
1619651769712.png
I have the nano flipper it works great ! But the weird thing is after I clean the glass 30 min later BOOM like I never cleaned it.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture looks like normal green film algae. Your tests may show 0 for nutrients, but that is what is "free" which doesn't take into account what is being consumed by your corals, etc...

The second pic looks like cyano...possibly some dinos, but can't confirm this without some good microscope pics.
Unfortunately since it’s disappearance I have not been able to collect a sample , but what would cause the cloudy water ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have the nano flipper it works great ! But the weird thing is after I clean the glass 30 min later BOOM like I never cleaned it.
Reduce white light intensity and direct flow towards your tank glass . It should reduce the frequency of cleaning.
Is this tank facing a window by chance?

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce white light intensity and direct flow towards your tank glass . It should reduce the frequency of cleaning.
Is this tank facing a window by chance
I have blacked out curtains in my fish room so no added sunlight is in the room white intensity on my AI prime is 10% , and I have a Nero 3 random flow high variation from 30%-60%, it’s weird thou right after I finished fighting off the Dino/cyano this algae came back , I remember dealing with it when I was cycling my tank but why now

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately since it’s disappearance I have not been able to collect a sample , but what would cause the cloudy water ?
Typically cloudy water indicates a bacterial bloom...which isn't always a bad thing. I am doubting that you actually had a dino outbreak if it cleared up that easily. There's a good chance that you are only having cyano outbreaks or possibly diatom outbreak if the tank is a relatively new setup.

Sometimes when cyano gets on the glass, it will actually be a very fine sheeting of cyano which will look like film algae...maybe this is what you are actually noticing. Cyano does come on after fighting dinos...and during dino infestations as well. But mainly, cyano shows up when there is an imbalance in your nitrate/phosphate ratios or if those nutrients are changed quickly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back