Tank whistling

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank getting established and I’m a noob. It’s a 120 with two overflow durso set up. I have a sicce silent 5.0 return. My tank will make a whistle sound every 5 minutes. I have a hole drilled in the top of my durso on both sides. I maybe noticed that when I turn the flow down it might happen less. Ideally I would like the return pump to near the 1300gph range and not the lower 600gph range. I watched BRS 52 week reefing and I saw a small hose with adjustment valve through the small hole on the durso, would that help?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re sure that the whistling sound is coming from the hole in the durso (and I think it’s likely that it could be) then really doing anything to slightly change the size of that hole would probably fix it. Either drilling it out a bit so it’s slightly larger, or putting a small hose in it to make it slightly smaller. I don’t think you would even need a valve. Just changing the diameter of the hole slightly should be enough.

OP
OP
D

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my pump down in the meantime and it has stopped the whistle. I’ll titrate it up and then monkey changing the size

OP
OP
D

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll do what?
Turn the flow on my return pump higher until it whistles again, and then back down to no whistle. I’m trying this before messing with changing the diameter of the hole in the durso

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank getting established and I’m a noob. It’s a 120 with two overflow durso set up. I have a sicce silent 5.0 return. My tank will make a whistle sound every 5 minutes. I have a hole drilled in the top of my durso on both sides. I maybe noticed that when I turn the flow down it might happen less. Ideally I would like the return pump to near the 1300gph range and not the lower 600gph range. I watched BRS 52 week reefing and I saw a small hose with adjustment valve through the small hole on the durso, would that help?
Welcome to R2R by the way. I, too, am not sure what you mean by titrating but Brett's advice should work. Nothing complicated necessary.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titration, how I check the magnesium with my redsea kit.

I'd strongly suggest throwing those durso's and put in herbie overflows. Super quit and safe. You probably only have 2 holes in each of your overflows so you will need to run the return up the back.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never get anywhere near 1300gph from a pair of Durso drains. They just cannot handle that much flow. Even 600gph total is pushing it. 500gph total is closer to reasonable. If you really want that much flow through the sump then a Herbie or BeanAnimal full siphon drain is your only real option, but I must ask why so much through the sump? If it is for in-tank circulation there are much better options - power heads being the obvious answer.

My 120DT in-tank circulation is somewhere around 70-80x. I get that using several powerheads and a pair of Gyre 250's. The return pump is a eheim 1262 that, after accounting for head loss is putting out maybe 600gph. The overflow is a GlassHoles 1500gph using a pair of 1.5" drain lines.

OP
OP
D

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R by the way. I, too, am not sure what you mean by titrating but Brett's advice should work. Nothing complicated necessary.
Titrate/adjust. I turned my return pump down and it stopped. I am turning the flow up until it’s done whistling. The I will monkey with the size of the hole on the durso

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's whistling with higher flow then making the hole slightly bigger will allow more air and a higher flow. Personally I would just leave as is and make sure you are using in tank flow pumps as Billdogg mentions. You really don't need a ton of flow through the sump and using the return pump to try and provide it just causes issues like you find on your drain noise etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back