Tank with an “algae background”?

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 90 gallon reef has been up and running for about two months now, and when it comes to cleaning algae off the glass I really just focus on the front and sides, without touching the back glass (mainly out of my own laziness of having to get back there with a scraper). At this point the back wall is getting covered with algae. It’s not really the nuisance kind like hair, it’s more like green and brown spots throughout with some coralline spots starting to develop.
My question is, should I just let these algaes continue to grow and take over the back wall, almost like a living background? I don’t have any background or anything covering the back glass, so if I clean it, the alternative for now would be me staring at rockwork sitting in front of my house’s wall paint. So I guess it’s more of an aesthetic question of what you guys think would be more attractive. I know clean pristine tanks are what most people shoot for, but having the back of the tank as an “algae background” actually has that more natural look to it in my opinion and doesn’t really bother me. The fish (tangs especially) certainly don’t mind having that buffet of algae to graze on all day. Not to mention I have my rocks moved away from the glass so if I ever decide to clean it, it wouldn’t be a huge mission. Let me know what you guys do in terms of back wall maintenance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't touch the sides or the back. Have coraline all over them. Mine is in wall though

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like it 'au natural', that's all that should really matter. You might note, however, that if you paint the back flat black and keep it clean, it may give more of a 'depth' perspective than if green algae is showing-- the green in effect pulling the back wall closer to the eye. Just a thought. Best wishes.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is new, scrape the back glass. It will help keep nutrients stable and more importantly spread the coralline algae around better and it will grow faster on the rocks. Once the rocks are covered and the tank is mature and stable, stop scraping and le the coralline cover the glass. Get a tuxedo urchin and watch him clean the back glass for you. They will eat a ton of coralline.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clean the back wall of my tank either. So it often has some algea growing on it. IMO as long as the algea is contained to the back wall and not a huge eye sore then its just a means of nutrient export at that point.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clean the back wall of my tank either. So it often has some algea growing on it. IMO as long as the algea is contained to the back wall and not a huge eye sore then its just a means of nutrient export at that point.
It is only an exporter if you can remove it. Otherwise it just holds it until it dies and then it releases all of the nutrients at once.

dannobiocube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 90 gallon reef has been up and running for about two months now, and when it comes to cleaning algae off the glass I really just focus on the front and sides, without touching the back glass (mainly out of my own laziness of having to get back there with a scraper). At this point the back wall is getting covered with algae. It’s not really the nuisance kind like hair, it’s more like green and brown spots throughout with some coralline spots starting to develop.
My question is, should I just let these algaes continue to grow and take over the back wall, almost like a living background? I don’t have any background or anything covering the back glass, so if I clean it, the alternative for now would be me staring at rockwork sitting in front of my house’s wall paint. So I guess it’s more of an aesthetic question of what you guys think would be more attractive. I know clean pristine tanks are what most people shoot for, but having the back of the tank as an “algae background” actually has that more natural look to it in my opinion and doesn’t really bother me. The fish (tangs especially) certainly don’t mind having that buffet of algae to graze on all day. Not to mention I have my rocks moved away from the glass so if I ever decide to clean it, it wouldn’t be a huge mission. Let me know what you guys do in terms of back wall maintenance.
The back wall of my tank is a pain to access. I just added a GSP colony a year ago and let it grow out. The only area I have to watch out for is the skimmer grate, periodic trimming is all that is required to correct that. I love the way it blows in the current

Attachments

• E1708085-D164-4F4B-8874-6408D00B94E7.jpeg
    E1708085-D164-4F4B-8874-6408D00B94E7.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 60

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the algae in the back and sides, the more the better. My pipefish and mandarins hunt there and it is a breeding ground for pods. Very healthy, leave it alone

Back