Tank

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for $100 you will be hard pressed to find an entire setup. You can wait for Petcos dollar per gallon sale and pick up a 20 Gallon for $20 and piece some things in from that point as well.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean total cost? Of just the tank...sure. Of everything to run a reef or even a fish only saltwater? I don't see it for under $300 to $500 realistically and at that you'll be trading off savings for either more maintenance or very limited selection of livestock that can thrive in that type of tank.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...and Welcome Aboard. Did not mean to come off abrupt on cost. Just want to make sure you have your eyes wide open on the cost of this hobby. And I didn't even go into ongoing costs.

But...there really is nothing like this hobby. There's something about looking into a reef tank that you set up and maintain that's uniquely satisfying. And the folks here will have all kinds of successful strategies for entry level, saving costs, ensure you don't waste money on stuff you don't need and help with how to start small and add equipment as you grow into it.

Also there are tons of DIY stuff you can do as well to help.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R!

Unless you get used equipment, I don't really think you can get all the basic equipment you need for $100. I my 16 gallon biocube and stand for clearance price, and with the additional equipment I got for it as well as rocks and sand, I spent in total $375. But like I said. I got my tank and stand on clearance. So I saved a lot.

It is possible to get a basic 10gallon setup for under $200, if you do it all DIY.

If you want all in one, depending on what size you go with and whether or not you get a stand or just plan to put it on an old tough dresser or something, it could cost anywhere from I would say $200 to $500, once you add up the cost of all additional equipment that was not included worh the tank as well as sand and rocks.

There should be plenty of guides on here for either method you choose to go with.

So, what is it you are looking for? A DIY setup, or an All In One setup?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral_crinoid_chimney_787med.jpg

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fluval evo 5 will run you $110 on Amazon.
It comes with pump, filter, light.

But you still need water, salt, rock, etc...

J.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fluval evo 5 will run you $110 on Amazon.
It comes with pump, filter, light.

But you still need water, salt, rock, etc...

J.
It would also require more frequent water changes and be susceptible to wild swings in parameters due to being so small that any little thing going off could result in a catastrophe. So if @sshawobj26 is a 1st time reefer and/or 1st time aquarium owner, not sure I would recommend one that small, unless she (they? Looks like two peeps in avatar pic) has a lot of free time to spend managing the aquarium. But let's face it, most of us don't have that sort of free time. Hence why we have so much automation in the hobby.

Of course when you are also on a tight budget, the automation comes sparingly and only when you can afford it (hence why I still don't have an ATO systemin place). Which I am assuming that based off the first post in this thread, that the OP is on a tight budget, so automation and extra non-necessary equipment is probably outside the scope of the project at the moment.

So @sshawobj26, does it have to be $100? Do you have some wiggle room, and if so how much? What size tank were you expecting/hoping to get? Do you want to have corals, or just fish only? What is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow!?!?!?
source.gif

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

I would recommend going to the local Aquarium. Its not too expensive and you can look at salt water fish and coral all day long.
A sucessful reef tank for under 100 dollars total is not for the beginner.
A fresh water tank is possible.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also require more frequent water changes and be susceptible to wild swings in parameters due to being so small that any little thing going off could result in a catastrophe. So if @sshawobj26 is a 1st time reefer and/or 1st time aquarium owner, not sure I would recommend one that small, unless she (they? Looks like two peeps in avatar pic) has a lot of free time to spend managing the aquarium. But let's face it, most of us don't have that sort of free time. Hence why we have so much automation in the hobby.

actually, i would ;)

the livestock supported by the lights that come with it, most softies, zoas, mushrooms, and a handful of low light SPS, will do pretty well in in that environment, a little dosing every now and then, a little water change every other then, and you have yourself a low budget low maintenance reef tank.

this will wet the appetite for some higher maintenance corals, and prepare the new reefer to plan a larger tank with a bigger budget. or add more automation to the current one.

it's a "get started on a budget, and get the hang of it without killing expensive SPS frags" option.

J.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! All of the advice mentioned above is great and +1 to whoever said ongoing maintenance cost. Something I never consider with anything and really should. 40 gallon breeder at Petco $1 per gallon sale is only 50% off and I believe costs $50. I would do that if I was starting another tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! $100 is a really tight budget for a saltwater tank - it is possible but may require patience and finding some free gear that someone is giving away (yes it happens). Good luck with whatever direction that you decide to go!

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a 55G tank and stand for 30 dollars im using as a QT not saying you can get a complete setup for 100 but you can get some used equipment for heavy discounts

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back