Tanks been over run by the brown plague (brown diatomes) anything i should be doing to get rid of it?

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank 2.5 months old, couple weeks ago Brown diatomes starting creeping in and they absolutely took over my tank. Sand was completely brown, Its much better now though and snails have been trying to keep up with it but how can i get rid of it once and for all? i deffiently notice it picks up if i feed the fish a lot or leave the lights on a long time.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally been battling that too.Good sign of your tank finished cycling. I noticed that when I use chemipure blue for a few weeks, it goes away. When I took out the chemipure to give the tank a break from being depleted of nutrients and ran just chemipure, the algae came back. So now I’m doing small water changes every other day or so, siphoned the algae again like I did before, and am running chemipure blue again. Should take care of it again. Because last time it was so clear. No algae. If this doesn’t take care of it maybe a gfo which is in the Chemipure Elite.
No Green no Red and very low white lights for me. Lots of blue and violet and some UV

Last edited:

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be an indicator of where you might need to increase flow in your tank. But at only 2.5 months, as AmaleeC noted, it's very young & I would let it grow.

New Wave Aquaria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are easily managed by adding pink margarita snails and tiger conchs and by running Rowaphos to remove the silicates from your water. Diatoms feed on silicates and by removing them with Rowaphos you will eliminate the problem and your pink margarita snails and tiger conchs will clean up what’s left!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pics would help. Is it really overrunning your tank?

If it's diatoms, it should just be a dusting of them in a new tank, and they will go away in time. Or, if you're dealing with something worse, like cyanobacteria or dinos that *can* actually take over a tank, we can help you deal with that too.

OP
OP
R

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pics would help. Is it really overrunning your tank?

If it's diatoms, it should just be a dusting of them in a new tank, and they will go away in time. Or, if you're dealing with something worse, like cyanobacteria or dinos that *can* actually take over a tank, we can help you deal with that too.
Yes sorry should of add photos

CF55BB8D-5E94-4033-AAA7-B384390BE402.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic. I don't think you are in that bad of shape, but I would clean the glass

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back