Tanks on Wood Floors..Protection?

mlbrown322

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tanks have been on LVP or Vinyl Flooring. I just built a new home, and want to put a large Mixed Reef Tank on a Engineered Wood Flooring. What has the community done to protect around, behind, in front of their tanks? Does it need it?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about wood but I just got new carpet this year and I’ve been hyper vigilant about water near it (or drinks or foods lol) I always put towels down before I do any work in the tank. I would imagine that would mean a washing up for you.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineered wood flooring is very similar to laminate flooring which I have under my 36x24x12 frag system.
It should clean up easily and withstand the elements well.
I just wipe up the water when im done. Its been 2 years with no issues.
My frag system is rimless so whenever I work in the tank water gets on the floor.
Solid wood flooring would have more issues, imo.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tanks have been on LVP or Vinyl Flooring. I just built a new home, and want to put a large Mixed Reef Tank on a Engineered Wood Flooring. What has the community done to protect around, behind, in front of their tanks? Does it need it?
I don't think it should be an issue with engineered hardwood as long as water does not stay on/in the wood very long. Clean up spills as soon as possible, and I doubt you'll see much issue. Avoid fish that spit water or splash a lot, though, as this could mean water on the floor almost all the time.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had all my freshwater tanks on hardwood floors.

Now my 2 saltwater tanks are on some type on laminated wood floors. So far so good, but I do wipe any water that gets on the floor and protect with a towel when doing maintenance. I’ve always done that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back