187g, My take on a modern reef

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On 11/3/2019 my cousin's agreed to come help me move some tanks around in exchange for a thanksgiving meal and abundance of alcohol beverages. My current tank is set up in my living room for 5+ years and feels very DIY and ready for upgrade. I found a great used tank online and purchased a 187g tank that measures 60" L x 30" D x 24" H with stand for cheap.

The plan is take down current tank and replace with the new tank. When I say tear down current tank I mean remove all the water so we can relocate and set back up fast enough not to kill any coral or fish. I need my old tank running long enough for new tank to cycle and then will break down current tank into new tank. I have fish room in progress but not near my tank, it is an office type room located in front of the house i will use for a frag tank eventually down the road, for now it will be where my old tank will go tell new tank is ready.

I plan on running a Triton method system on my new tank. It will be controlled by apex, powered by echo-tech and fueled by reef-nutrition ( just like my current tank). I plan on having a tang gang and a mixed reef with lots of zoa's, montopra's and SPS down the line.

more pictures to come....BTW FU BRS for inspiring me with all your videos, lol!

tank.jpg

Specs Tank: 60"L x 30"D x 24"H 187 gallon volume

List of the gear junkie items....no trident yet.
Apex:
2 Neptune core-20 for the return and closed loop:
Apex module WXM:
Apex break out box
Auto top off is the ATK
Heaters are the BRS 600w x 2
Skimmer is the Red sea RSK 600
Mounted all the apex items to the marine depot control board

Sump is from advance acrylics. The main sump is 36x24x15, the refugium measures 16x24x20, the ATO is 12x20x24 and matching 4 channel dosing container.

LIGHTS: Went with The Giesemann stellar hybrid option based on how wide the unit is and added 3 radions G4# pros to the unit.

Current tank 02/03/2020
sump.jpg
Tank 3/22/2020
tank.jpg

Below is my current tank I will break down into new tank.

current tank front.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is from 2 years ago when this plan started but came to a halt after my dog decided to eat the foam under the carpet. I pulled out the carpet and placed it in the garage and my dog ate the foam with this mesh inside of it that lead to a very expensive surgery (dont worry my dog cash is okay). The surgery was very expensive and put the dream tank build on back burner but very happy to be moving forward again.

fish tankroom floor.jpg fish tankroom floor2.jpg fish tankroom floor3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My current frag tank / hospital tank.

Its a 40g breeder with some AI primes, red sea skimmer and AI Nero 5 power head. love the AI ap and how easy it is to use. The AI primes being only 50w each are only capable of growing out zoas.

frag tank.jpg

Last edited:

Newtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 11/3/2019 my cousin's agreed to come help me move some tanks around in exchange for a thanksgiving meal and abundance of alcohol beverages. My current tank is set up in my living room for 5+ years and feels very DIY and ready for upgrade. I found a great used tank online and purchased a 187g tank that measures 60" L x 30" D x 24" H with stand for cheap.

The plan is take down current tank and replace with new tank. When I say tear down current tank I mean remove all the water so we can relocate and set back up fast enough not to kill any coral or fish. I need my old tank running long enough for new tank to cycle and then will break down current tank into new tank. I have fish room in progress but not near my tank, it is an office type room located in front of the house i will use for a frag tank eventually down the road, for now it will be where my old tank will go tell new tank is ready.

I plan on running a Triton method system on my new tank. It will be controlled by apex, powered by echo-tech and fueled by reef-nutrition ( just like my current tank). I plan on having a tang gang and a mixed reef with lots of zoa's, montopra's and SPS down the line.

more pictures to come....BTW FU BRS for inspiring me with all your videos, lol!

New tank in soon to be fish room

Below is my current tank and where the new tank will be set up.

current tank front.jpg
Nice! I’ll be following this build

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was able to get the tanks swaped out on Sunday with the thanks to my cousins.
13B8FDE0-521D-4758-9329-17F0534B19E2.jpeg

tossed the kids in the tank for size reference
BBE66F24-C168-4593-B76A-65D8C003338A.jpeg
Counter full or bribes, I mean food.
F84F25F0-8E2F-4122-A885-E8EAEE63C283.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The old tank in fish tank room.

Long term goal for the fish room is a frag tank system. Having two systems will allow to have 2 of every coral, one in each system so if I have a crash I wont lose all my coral.

ED4FA3AE-4332-46D1-A01F-28F3A427F3F9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy tanksgiving !

update, ordered lots of gear from BRS black Friday and advanced acrylics sump!

pics below after the move, everything stayed alive except a small colonie of PC rainbow. My fox face was picking at it before the move and couldn't take the stress.

Anyone before have a fox face go rouge and nip corals?

zoa.jpg
The pictures fuzzy from not cleaning the glass but amazes me that the GSP and clove polyps where out of the water for over 2 hours during the move and that did not phase them.
sps.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back