Tap vs ro vs rodi

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long story short I have had my tank up for about three months using tap water. Since I haven’t run into any major problems does this mean that the tap water in my area is safe to use or do I still need to get a water filter. I have found a ro unit for about $60 and I know rodi is better but I really don’t want to pay the extra $100 is a ro unit good enough if I have to upgrade?

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tap water has lots of stuff in it that you don't want in your tank (chlorine, flouride, dissolved solids, snickers bars, etc...). Maybe you're lucky, or maybe your water supply is VERY clean. I'd use RODI if I were you, it's not worth the risk not to.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a RO will probably be ok if your not having algae issues using your tap water.. you can easily upgrade your RO system with a add on DI canister anytime

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have NO CONTROL over what your city changes in that water quality. RO systems are cheaper than a tank crash.

There is literally no long term upside to not having control over your source water. Garbage in, garbage out - as they say, Better to know your water quality rather than gamble for a few bucks saved in the short term.

(My two cents.)

EDIT - To answer your actual question - RO without DI is better than no RO at all

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think investing in a RODI system is the best thing to do long term. You know the water coming out is clean. It hurt me to pay for such an expensive unit but I'm happy I did. I'm sure my mini reef appreciates it too!

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RODI system is a good long term investment. I purchased one that also has a tank so I have the added bonus of pure drinking water.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. An RODI unit is a great long term investment. I can’t imagine putting tap water in my tank. Living in the Midwest our water changes all the time due to what nutrients are coming down the river and having to sift through the run off of fields. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is the only way to go, tap will and is doing things that may show problems later and best case cause fluctuations in perameters

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long story short I have had my tank up for about three months using tap water. Since I haven’t run into any major problems does this mean that the tap water in my area is safe to use or do I still need to get a water filter. I have found a ro unit for about $60 and I know rodi is better but I really don’t want to pay the extra $100 is a ro unit good enough if I have to upgrade?

There are a number of individuals who have started with tap and initially are fine, but after a year or more the build up of the minerals/metals in the tap water started causing major problems for them (ie out of control algae issues, slowly killing corals, etc.) It's not just a question of how much of the minerals/solids are but what they are. Furthermore many municipal water systems periodically perform flushes. Harmless to humans, but can be deadly to a marine tank. An RODI system takes the guess work out of such things as it strips everything out of the water. RO is a big improvement over tap but lacks the final de-ionization phase which gets the last remnants out, hence there is still a little bit of minerals/solids in your water before it goes into the tank and once again you don't know what the solids are.

OP
OP
D

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of individuals who have started with tap and initially are fine, but after a year or more the build up of the minerals/metals in the tap water started causing major problems for them (ie out of control algae issues, slowly killing corals, etc.) It's not just a question of how much of the minerals/solids are but what they are. Furthermore many municipal water systems periodically perform flushes. Harmless to humans, but can be deadly to a marine tank. An RODI system takes the guess work out of such things as it strips everything out of the water. RO is a big improvement over tap but lacks the final de-ionization phase which gets the last remnants out, hence there is still a little bit of minerals/solids in your water before it goes into the tank and once again you don't know what the solids are.
If I bought an ro unit now could I just add the di unit later?

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken down many tanks , sold tons of stuff for cheap , repurchased things that I sold . Quit the hobby and came back a month later ......I have NEVER gotten rid of my RODI unit . Staple of reef tank husbandry !

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, an RO/DI system is about eliminating variables. It's difficult enough to keep a successful reef tank without worrying about your source water changing without notice. To many people, RO/DI is cheap insurance that you know you're starting with the cleanest water possible.

And when I say cheap insurance, I really mean that it is cheap. A 4-stage unit from BRS is $150. After just 200 gallons of water made, your water is only going to be costing you $0.75/gallon. And that includes the cost of waste water. After 500 gallons, your average cost per gallon is about $0.30, and after a thousand gallons of RO/DI water, your average cost per gallon is just over fifteen cents. This doesn't count the cost of replacement filters, but the longer you use the unit, the more it pays for itself.

Consider all the costs that go into a reef tank. Think about the hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollar spent on lighting. Think of the hundreds of dollars spent on tank and stand combos. Think about the hundreds of dollars people spend these days on just one pump. Think of the cost of the sump, as well as the several hundred dollar skimmer in it. Consider the cost of the rock and sand. Consider the expensive fish and corals that we buy. Consider that some people spend a mortgage payment on what is essentially a rhodactis mushroom, or for 3/4" of the Acro of the week. When you add all these up, it's not unusual for even a modest reef tank setup to cost at least a thousand (if not several thousand) dollars. That also doesn't count all the intangible costs such as time you spend researching, ordering fish, cleaning the tank and equipment, making saltwater, etc.

Using tap water is a gamble long-term, plain and simple. Tap water quality can change on a dime without notice. Don't believe me? Ask the unfortunate people in Flynt, MI who still don't have clean drinking water today, 4 years after the water crisis began. It doesn't seem like good mathematical sense to put thousands of dollars and potentially hundreds of man (or woman) hours on the line simply to avoid buying a $150 water filter. Our aquariums are more about keeping water than keeping fish or corals. I'm all about being cheap, and I love saving a buck, but I would not cut corners on water quality to save money. I would find another place to cut and save a few dollars.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I bought an ro unit now could I just add the di unit later?
Yes. You would just add one of these on to the output. When the resin changes color dump it out and add new.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/single-deionization-canister.html
You can also get on inline TDS meter to keep tabs on the output of the water.
With this dual one you can see what the water going into the canister is and what the output is.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-inline-tds-meter-dm-1-hm-digital.html

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live? Are you on a public water system? If yes, you generally can find out what they report in your water supply.

OP
OP
D

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You would just add one of these on to the output. When the resin changes color dump it out and add new.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/single-deionization-canister.html
You can also get on inline TDS meter to keep tabs on the output of the water.
With this dual one you can see what the water going into the canister is and what the output is.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-inline-tds-meter-dm-1-hm-digital.html
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life...rds=rodi&qid=1536362614&sr=8-2&ref=mp_s_a_1_2 So would that work with this ro unit. Just screw it on at the end?

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you linked is another RO system. If you mean the DI expansion for this then yes. But seriously, get the BRS or another standard 10” canister system. It’s better, lasts longer, and is standardized meaning cheaper in the long run.

This isn’t the area to cheap out on.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back