Tap Water or RODI water?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to risk losing thousands of dollars worth of fish and coral because I tried being cheap on the $200 for RoDi. Not worth the gamble. There's a reason people have separate tanks to run copper. Once it's in the system it doesn't leave and accumulates over time.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the amount of detritus in the substrate could be the cause. I once had a FOWLR in which I had the same problem; nitrates through the roof; and it turned out that the UG filter (this was way back in the day) I had in it at the time was trapping so much detritus that it was producing a lot of nitrate from the decomposition. After removing the UG, reducing the amount of sand, and thoroughly cleaning the substrate the nitrates went down.
I had a similar problem when my tap water for my planted tank was full of ammonia. I was doing 50% water changes per week and wondering my my nitrates were so high. I checked the tap water and it turned it green on my Api test kit. Right full of ammonia. I knew something had to be feeding the nitrates but couldn't figure it out.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your newly mixed saltwater for nitrate.
A water change would lower nitrate.
Unless the source has nitrate.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with tap water was disaster! It worked ok for fish only, but was basically instant death for any inverts I tried. I never tested the purity, but I can say that the tap water in the area I lived at the time was pretty much chemical soup. Too bad there wasn't a resource as good as this one back then so I could have known why I was killing everything I added. Even the LFS stores never told me about RODI...

I second the others above that you can buy a decent RODI for a fair price (I paid $140 for my 5 stage 75 GPH unit). There are enough other things to worry about with your tank without having to add in the extra worry about your source water.

Cheers,
Steve

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with tap water was disaster! It worked ok for fish only, but was basically instant death for any inverts I tried. I never tested the purity, but I can say that the tap water in the area I lived at the time was pretty much chemical soup. Too bad there wasn't a resource as good as this one back then so I could have known why I was killing everything I added. Even the LFS stores never told me about RODI...

I second the others above that you can buy a decent RODI for a fair price (I paid $140 for my 5 stage 75 GPH unit). There are enough other things to worry about with your tank without having to add in the extra worry about your source water.

Cheers,
Steve
Did you by chance mean to say 75 GPD ?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have done some research, and where I live the chlorine level in my water is 0.85mg/l (<1ppm), and 56 - 73 (mg CaCO3/L) . In addition to treating my tap water with a water conditioner, what is the real danger in using tap water instead of rodi. If i am being extremely silly here please tell me, and explain what the benefits/need of RODI is, if treatment of tap water is an option. Please also explain why this is a bigger deal when discussing saltwater tanks and not freshwater (I have no coral yet and will definitely use rodi when i get there).
Yes you are being silly. Get a rodi, bulkreefsupply.com has nice ones.
You want to start your tank with pure saltwater and control the additives.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are being silly. Get a rodi, bulkreefsupply.com has nice ones.
You want to start your tank with pure saltwater and control the additives.
That is a little harsh. I don't think his question is silly at all.. he has tap water most of us would kill for.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers,
Steve
Ya I got a 50 gpd filter. I only have a 20 long. It's served me well since I started using it. Tap water is trash. And if I ever do another planted tank I'll be using r.o water as well. And a product like ro right to buffer it. I can't belive they say it's safe to drink and fish and corals can't live in it lol

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a little harsh. I don't think his question is silly at all.. he has tap water most of us would kill for.
OP asked if he was being silly, I replied to that, didn't mean it as harsh.
In any case, his question is should he use his tap water vs rodi.
Rodi for sure, imo.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP asked if he was being silly, I replied to that, didn't mean it as harsh.
In any case, his question is should he use his tap water vs rodi.
Rodi for sure, imo.
I agree RODI is the way to go. I wouldn't even attempt a reef without it here. However, if my tap water read what his does, I would ask the same question ;)

Validator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to saltwater tanks and had just placed my order for an aquarium a week ago so looking forward to it. I wanted to just ride on this discussion and hopefully get some ideas here. Incidentally I am in Singapore and our water is portable from the tap.

I was hoping to get a system that could also supply my family with drinking water at the same time. Most of the RODI systems I see do not connect to the tap. I was wondering whether devices like the one in the link below count as RODI systems because they were the ones that surfaced when I searched the internet.
Xeltro CT22 - Countertop Twin Water Filter - Filtech Singapore

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to saltwater tanks and had just placed my order for an aquarium a week ago so looking forward to it. I wanted to just ride on this discussion and hopefully get some ideas here. Incidentally I am in Singapore and our water is portable from the tap.

I was hoping to get a system that could also supply my family with drinking water at the same time. Most of the RODI systems I see do not connect to the tap. I was wondering whether devices like the one in the link below count as RODI systems because they were the ones that surfaced when I searched the internet.
Xeltro CT22 - Countertop Twin Water Filter - Filtech Singapore
Get the aquatic life R.o. buddie. It's what I have. Just need one fitting and it connects to your kitchen tap. Makes 50 gallons a day

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have a problem purchasing a filter. What I do have a problem with is wasting 20 gallons of water/week on reverse osmosis...
Our water in Seattle is pristine, we drink off tap, the only things I have not tested for are the additives like copper fluoride etc... that are put in on purpose or by accident by the local pipes...
I have used a carbon whole house filter for years with my fresh water tanks coupled with 24-hour bubbler to rid of chlorine and dechlorinator if necessary. my water tests clean with all the redsea kits phosphate included.
so I'm curious I guess.
anyone else test clean water and forgo the RODI only to find problems later?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is most likely your best bet, then again there are plenty of people out there that have used tap water for years on end without any problems. It's basically up to the owner/aquarist to make it right. GL

Do you know what the difference is between somebody that uses RO/DI water and has an algae problem is and somebody that uses tap water and has an algae problem is? Nothing...

Last edited:

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for quite a bit, i have used tap water. including with a couple corals. i have found that the water out of the tap does have more alk than rodi water, but other than that, the tap water isnt causing me any issues. it is one of those things that is dependent on your water source. some water sources will have better quality over others.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor CL/FB and here for a used system. I was able to pick up a 200gpd 6 stage for $150 that way.

I've since put $150 in upgrades into it but now it's one mean rodi machine!
I wouldn’t recommend this. Unless you’re planning on replacing all the cartridges and the membrane, you shouldn’t buy used. You just don’t know how much it’s been used, if it’s been properly stored, how old the membrane is, etc. After replacing all the cartridges, plus the cost of the used filter, you might as well just buy a new one. For the $300 you spent, you could’ve gotten a new high quality, high gpd filter and saved yourself the hassle.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effects of using tap water in many instances is not felt for quite some time and then very difficult to correct.
There’s a reason people use RODI but impossible to convince those who don’t, to.
It took two years to catch up with me.
Then bottom fell out.
The ICP test indicated a build up of heavy metals.
There appears to be some cases where Tap water worked, so, It’s the aquarist choice.
Since doing weekly changes for years now, no longer is this an issue.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back