Target Mandarin Eating, but Still Skinny

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently (maybe two weeks ago) got a target mandarin. I was PSYCHED to see him eat spirulina brine in the store, which he continues to eat in my tank. The problem is, he doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. Am I just getting too nervous too quickly? My other fish get big bellies when they eat, but this guy continues to look emaciated, even when I see him eat 5+ pieces of spirulina brine (he's only 1.5" or so).

My main concern/question is whether or not he may have a parasite. Any thoughts? Thanks, all.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently (maybe two weeks ago) got a target mandarin. I was PSYCHED to see him eat spirulina brine in the store, which he continues to eat in my tank. The problem is, he doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. Am I just getting too nervous too quickly? My other fish get big bellies when they eat, but this guy continues to look emaciated, even when I see him eat 5+ pieces of spirulina brine (he's only 1.5" or so).

My main concern/question is whether or not he may have a parasite. Any thoughts? Thanks, all.
Sadly you cannot feed him on brine. His main diet consists of pods. How big is your tank, and have you added pods?

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly you cannot feed him on brine. His main diet consists of pods. How big is your tank, and have you added pods?
Do you mean brine (even with spirulina) is just not nutritional enough for him? He's in a 40B, and no I have not added any, but it has my old live rock, a refugium, and my old pod hotel in it so there are definitely some in there.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank should be teeming with pods all over glass and live rock in order to have a fat mandarin. 40B is too small for long term success IMO

if you can get him onto Mysis that’s much better nutrition but still needs more pods

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mysis, spirulina brine and pods would be enough. I'd say add pods once every three to four weeks and you'll be fine. Just try to get him on mysis

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank should be teeming with pods all over glass and live rock in order to have a fat mandarin. 40B is too small for long term success IMO

if you can get him onto Mysis that’s much better nutrition but still needs more pods
So mysis are more nutritionally dense than spirulina brine? I also add selcon.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wild caught Mandarin in a 45 cube (tied into a much larger +/- 300 g system) that's fat and happy. Live pods are the #1 choice food for sure but I also supplement every other day with Elos Cyclops (see Algae Barn) fed with a pipet. They used to sell a product called Can-O-Cyclops but I think they've switched over to the Elos exclusively now. It's a canned food that she eats with no hesitation. Basically suspended pods. I've had her for 9 months now and again, FAT and happy.
PS: Might also want to check out their Mandarin Feeder Kit.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bit of a bummer. I just tried feeding PEMysis, and he seemed totally disinterested. I’m hoping it’s just because it’s pretty old. I’ll pick up some fresh Mysis and see what happens.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bit of a bummer. I just tried feeding PEMysis, and he seemed totally disinterested. I’m hoping it’s just because it’s pretty old. I’ll pick up some fresh Mysis and see what happens.

Pods, pods and pods as mentioned and live phyto to help feed them and the tank, it's instinct is to eat all day long, I got a little one inch rescue a couple of months ago and put it in my little tank to fatten up, if I can get her on prepared foods all well and good.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a sufficient pod population, which a 40gal almost certainly will not without a large refugium attached, then they need supplemental feedings several times a day. Many sources recommend over 3 feedings a day to keep up with their fast metabolism. As stated by others they naturally feed throughout the day, so need food supplied frequently.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in there. I agree that you are going to be a slave to him because if you want him to live it will be hard work to feed him.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 times a day, and I feed enough that a good portion makes it to the sand bed for him.
They are constant grazers looking for food. Might want to check out the pods as mentioned. Important to source "clean" pods from places that don't have fish in their system that can carry parasites into your tank. Algaebarn might be a good place to take a look. Very nice people.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ones over three years old now.
Eats nothing but PODs, just lets everything else go by.
Since he’s the only POD eater in a very mature tank, always plenty.
2F96AC7F-DC00-4B48-8D98-193287318E6E.jpeg

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed frozen bloodworms and then start mixing in my sis with it they alway eat them
ive had several and they eat frozen bloodworms without fail I have found andmine Was super skinny when I bought it two months ago and now it has the fastest belly and I feed it twice a day but I also have a lot of pods and he’s in my 55 gallon reef

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 or 3 times a day is not near enough to feed a mandarin. They need to eat constantly.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update here. He’s fattening up nicely! I switched over to mysis, and he’s gotten noticeably chunkier. He eats like an absolute champ. Comes right up to the top of the water column with everyone else. I’m downright chuffed

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back