TDS coming from mixing container? How do you keep yours clean?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two brute trash cans that I use for my rodi storage and mixing station. I’m gonna call the clean rodi water storage can Can A, and the other one I’ll call can B which I used to use to make the saltwater mix. Normally I use can A just to store and heat the new rodi water and can B to make the salt mixed water. Today I used my TDS pen to test the stored water in brute can A.
So I measured the clean rodi water in can A and it came out to 24 tds. Now I used that can to mix around 30 gallons of saltwater for my tank just once, and now after doing that the tds went up when I put new water in it. What could cause this to happen? I did leave my pump and heater in there the whole time too. Maybe that caused it? Or would it be the actual bin and stuff left over on the surface of the bin? Should I just use one can to store new water and another one to mix the water right before a water change? And how do you prevent that tds spike from happening in the brute can you always use to mix saltwater? I have a third brute trash can I’m cleaning with distilled vinegar, I’m hoping that will be okay to use once I’m done cleaning it. Do you think I need better containers?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I store RODI, the TDS will rise a little each day.
So day 1 it’s zero, and day 7 it’s 20......
So I mix and deploy in 24 hours, but wouldn’t make a whole lot of difference to the chemistry.
Normal even with a lid....IME...

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I store RODI, the TDS will rise a little each day.
So day 1 it’s zero, and day 7 it’s 20......
So I mix and deploy in 24 hours, but wouldn’t make a whole lot of difference to the chemistry.
Normal even with a lid....IME...
Oh okay, I thought that the tds would cause problems cause it’s not 0 like it is right out of the rodi unit. I guess I’ll do that and try to make the water and not leave it stored for too long. I’ll have to clean my containers too just in case, thanks

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back