TDS Meter opinions

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my soft corals are starting to look a little drab, just not fully opened. All other params are good, I'll list them below, but the only other thing that I think would make sense is the TDS and I don't have a way to test it. I haven't replaced my DI resin since bought the RO/DI filter new 6 months ago. I should probably just replace it but I'd like to have a number to look at. What are good meters? What does everyone use?

Temp 77
Sal 1.025
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite o
Ammonia 0
Calc 440
Alk 9.4
Mag 1340

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any standard tds meter will be fine. If you don't have one already I recommend getting a dual tds meter so you can monitor tds from input to your rodi and after di

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your rodi water is not at 0 tds you will see it soon enough in your tank e.g. Algae IME , you haven't listed what your po4 is ( phosfate )....you also say nitrate is 0 and alk is 9.4 .. I'd say your alk is a little too high with no nitrates and I'm guessing your po4 will be probably 0 too so your corals are probably starving ..

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your rodi water is not at 0 tds you will see it soon enough in your tank e.g. Algae IME , you haven't listed what your po4 is ( phosfate )....you also say nitrate is 0 and alk is 9.4 .. I'd say your alk is a little too high with no nitrates and I'm guessing your po4 will be probably 0 too so your corals are probably starving ..
I feed the lps with mouths that you can clearly see them eat and that it benefits them once a week and I feed coral frenzy once or twice a week.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but what test kits are you using?

I would agree that if it is really running ULNS your all should be lower, but really in my opinion better would be to just feed everything more and get a little phosphate and nitrate into your system.

OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed my dual TDS meter. Getting around 10 before the DI stage and 3 after. These seem like decent numbers to me, what is acceptable? When should the membrane, di resin, carbon, and mesh filter be changed.

Also I increased my feeding to boost nitrates and my corals are looking happy. Thanks in advance

jpreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With softies it's better to run a "dirty" tank, you r nitrates are too low if 0 and phos is bad if truly at 0. How are you testing for phosphates? Hanna ULR?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the typical RODI in this hobby, you'll want a meter with THREE probes so you know the tds in your 1) feedwater, 2) RO water, and 3) DI water.

If you know 1 and 2, you can calculate your membrane's rejection rate, so you'll know how the membrane is performing.
TRM-1-Inline-TDS-Meter.PNG

Russ

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the typical RODI in this hobby, you'll want a meter with THREE probes so you know the tds in your 1) feedwater, 2) RO water, and 3) DI water.

If you know 1 and 2, you can calculate your membrane's rejection rate, so you'll know how the membrane is performing.
TRM-1-Inline-TDS-Meter.PNG

Russ
Whats the price on 3 line meter?

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your DI resin output is anything over zero its time to replace it. The number 3 is not a low number in the world of water purity for a Reef tank.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Careful here guys. That IS NOT a good choice for a TDS meter for reefers. Why? Because as the lowest cost meter in the HM Digital product line it does not have automatic temperature compensation (ATC). If you are looking for a low-cost handheld meter, we have the TDS3 (with ATC) on sale:
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/tds3-handheld-meter/

Russ

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That IS NOT a good choice for a TDS meter for reefers. Why? Because as the lowest cost meter in the HM Digital product line it does not have automatic temperature compensation (ATC). If you are looking for a low-cost handheld meter, we have the TDS3 (with ATC) on sale:
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/tds3-handheld-meter/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back