Teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting to.preach but it seems to me many people don't really know how best to watch their fish or reef.

This is my light hearted take on it. IME standing in front close up isn't the best position to take up to observe your aquarium, that is probably the worse position to take up in fact.

I first thought about this watching people striding upto a tank in the LFS and all but pressing their nose against it to see what's in or to eye up a potential purchase. Most often with the result that the fish dart behind a rock refusing to come out for sometime and each time it started to the observer would move in front of the tank causing said potential to immediately dart back into the brickwork, well what do they expect one wonders, nopeNot good.

When I visit my LFS I try to go at quiet periods. I stand back from the selling tanks for a while and scan the tanks from a distance. Case in point. Yesterday in my favourite LFS I was looking for another female fireball angel. I asked one of the assistants if they had any, one was the reply. He pointed to the tank it was in and sure enough there was but it looked to be a male, dang!

However, through careful observation I saw a flash of blue and orange in another holding tank . Sure enough after a couple of minutes out popped another fireball this time a female. RESULT! I purchased it, the LFS didn't know they had that one, doh! That is not uncommon as many will know.

Anyway, back to my tank watching at home. Here is my take on the best way to watch your tank. Wait till evening, turn all the lights off in the room this limits the chance if any fish noticing any movement in the room. Pull up your fave armchair and position it about 6' from the tank.
Now put a small table next to your armchair and stock it with your favourite beers and snacks.

Now feed your fish, retire to your chair, open a can, relax and just observe.

You might want to just observe the whole tank at first then perhaps concentrate on one fish for a while. If you have pairs etc as I do so much the better you can watch their interaction and if lucky enough, at the correct time, perhaps as your lights dim you may catch a spawning or two.

Dwarf Angel's, wrasses and dragonets all spawn during late evening for them. You may, if very luck even catch inverts and corals spawning.
After you have finished your 6 pack go to bed as you are now little more than a danger to your tank and inhabitants.
Happy reefkeeping.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot the bit about passing out after drinking the 6 pack, and ‘other things’, and then waking up at 2am on your own in the dark!!

Or is that just me....! Lol

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i go close to the tank they all get in my face to beg for food lol so yeah gotta sit back for the natural behavior
Of course it depends on the fish you keep some come forward others like many of mine run for the hills but soon come out when food hits the water.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After only 6....Light weight lol
Hey I didn’t want to draw attention to myself, it’s was the ‘other things’ (chasers and lots darling!) in addition!! Lol

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hav2 swivel glider seats about 8 to 10 feet away feet away facing the tank. Happy hour seats.

Attachments

• BCC883A4-31F4-4368-8200-5D79B3578F96.jpeg
    BCC883A4-31F4-4368-8200-5D79B3578F96.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 44

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are all pretty tame at this point. Mostly if they can see me, they all swarm towards me. I have noticed however, they behave very differently if they see me than not. Like I don't get to see their natural behavior if they know I'm there. They don't hide when I come up to the tank, but they definitely act different. I have to kinda sneak into the room and watch from a distance.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are all pretty tame at this point. Mostly if they can see me, they all swarm towards me. I have noticed however, they behave very differently if they see me than not. Like I don't get to see their natural behavior if they know I'm there. They don't hide when I come up to the tank, but they definitely act different. I have to kinda sneak into the room and watch from a distance.
Hidingvwill depend on the species you keep. I keep.lots of small fish, some hide some come forward.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll ,y good Buddy, you are correct as usual. I do the same thing. I probably have 25 or so fish and if I or someone else stands right up to the tank, you won't see any fish. They will all hide.

I shut off the room lights and sit 6' away and they all come out and start doing the Macarana

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll ,y good Buddy, you are correct as usual. I do the same thing. I probably have 25 or so fish and if I or someone else stands right up to the tank, you won't see any fish. They will all hide.

I shut off the room lights and sit 6' away and they all come out and start doing the Macarana
Yo Paul buddy, as we know that is the natural response of fish unless they become tame of course and connect people approaching the tank with feeding them. The only time in my limited diving driving experience on reefs in the Red Sea was that the only fish came to me right up to my mask were angry male damselfish that threatened me as I approached their nests.
Any other fish would simply hide in the coral or swim away. I often experienced porcupine fish and dog faced puffers that would not let me get close. In the aquarium they become tame and will even beg for food. When a fish sees a much larger fish or other approached on the reef they think predator which is their natural preservation reaction. They don't want to be the larger fishes dinner of course.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats right. In the sea you can rarely get with in 6' of fish. Unless it is a Great White Shark. :confused:

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"You would have me teach my Grandame to suck Eggs".[3][4] Most likely the meaning of the idiom derives from the fact that before the advent of modern dentistry (and modern dental prostheses) many elderly people (grandparents) had very bad teeth, or no teeth, so that the simplest way for them to eat protein was to poke a pinhole in the shell of a raw egg and suck out the contents; therefore, a grandmother was usually already a practiced expert on sucking eggs and didn't need anyone to show her how to do it.[5]

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the shark is the predator and curious about you. Are you food.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back