TEAM CUC: What does your CUC team (clean up crew) look like and who's your MVP?

Who all made the team for your clean up crew?

• Snails

Votes: 518 92.8%
  • Crabs

Votes: 393 70.4%
  • Urchins

Votes: 217 38.9%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 311 55.7%
  • Cleaning Fish

Votes: 205 36.7%
  • Starfish

Votes: 142 25.4%
  • Chitons

Votes: 53 9.5%
  • Sea Slugs

Votes: 35 6.3%
  • Limpets

Votes: 80 14.3%
  • Pods

Votes: 343 61.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 44 7.9%

• Total voters

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the weird little cleaners that are often not for sale with all the snails and crabs - such as limpets, chitons, stomatella, worms, etc - they get in all the tight places and I feel the 'clean up power' per 'lb' is unmatched

stomatella-varia.jpg
those dudes look like what make a reef a "reef" are tehy reef safe

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerith snails. Nerite. Top crown snails all seem to do a good job and live long. Pencil urchins are the hardiest and best urchin. Longspines are good but but it's like having a spike covered soccer ball in your tank.
D

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What no love for the sea cucumbers lol love mine dude is a work horse!! Also have a sand sifting star a harlequin serpent star tiger conch and 20+ tronchus snails 2 fire shrimp and 10 to 12 nasarius snails not many hermits left at this point

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the weird little cleaners that are often not for sale with all the snails and crabs - such as limpets, chitons, stomatella, worms, etc - they get in all the tight places and I feel the 'clean up power' per 'lb' is unmatched

stomatella-varia.jpg

(not my image)
Me to! I once got the most beautiful black and blue one that just appeared one day!! I missed him when he was gone!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an large assortment of snails and a small handful of hermits in each tank from reefcleaners. I have also been lucky with picking up limpets and stomatellas to supplement for free!

From my experience the best sand cleaners I currently have are my dwarf ceriths. I probably have about 100 or so in each tank and they do great work. For the rock cleaning astraea and trochus snails are my favorites. They can make rock look super clean.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stomatella-varia.jpg

(not my image)
I would love some chitons and stomatellas.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What no love for the sea cucumbers lol love mine dude is a work horse!! Also have a sand sifting star a harlequin serpent star tiger conch and 20+ tronchus snails 2 fire shrimp and 10 to 12 nasarius snails not many hermits left at this point
I like cucumbers but if they lay eggs your tank is toast.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I research little crustaceans my fish eat? Lol! Read a book about reefing instead of the internet.
D
Pods ara CUC champions. I was intentionally keeping a large population of them. My sump developed tons of algae on the glass. About a month later it was all gone. Not only in the sump either. They ate so much algae that I was worried that my dino issue would return at the time. I am not as worried now since I have my n and p higher. I am trying to get them to bloom again. Eventually I want to get a breeding pair of royal grammas and a mandarin so I need tons for them and to sustain the pod population.

Last edited:

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few trochus and astraea (lithopoma) snails, and a tiger/strawberry conch as my main cleanup crew. For some reason, I can't keep nassarius snails for very long.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails for algae, copepods for general maintenance, cleaner shrimp for fish flukes (they completely cleaned 3 heavily infested pyramid butterfly fish), and the most important member…me!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I research little crustaceans my fish eat? Lol! Read a book about reefing instead of the internet.
D

Because you are completely off base.

What do pods eat? They eat algae at a microscopic level. If you have a large enough supply of pods, you may never even see algae outbreaks large enough for the fish and snails to eat.

The fact that they become food for the fish eventually is a bonus!

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday Reef Fam! This week we're going to be discussing CLEAN UP CREWS or CUC to keep it short! 100% of us have some type of CUC whether it is a group of inverts that are housed specifically to keep the dissolving organics clean (eat poop) or it's a pretty fish that just so happens to love the taste of unsightly algae! Let's talk CUC!

1. What cleaner inverts, cleaner fish and micro cleaners do you have "on the team" in your reef aquarium? Please list them!

Hermit crab, mud crabs, grass shrimp, mud snails, and barnacles, oysters and mussels ("other" for water filtering abilities).

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We never had a pod shortage 10 years ago. Why would we know? O maybe cause all the rock is artifical now.
Not porous.
Get pod houses or pod breeders.
Do I think a small little bug multiplied in the 1000s or even millions will keep my tank clean? No I do not. That is hogwash imo. Lol.
Maybe I'm just old school and the old school people have a hard time adopting the new ways and vise versa but again I don't buy it sorry. If your relying on bugs to clean your reef than more power to you. I do not.
D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back