Tear down tank with ICH?

Yellow17165161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to tear a tank down to restart, how long should I leave the tank and rock dry or under bleach to make sure all ich trophonts are dead?

I really don’t like my current layout, have a BAD GHA outbreak, and I think I may have reintroduced ich in the tank with an urchin and LFS water by accident. I also don’t like my sand and want a restart.

I have had fish die from copper before, so I don’t want to go that route again, and I have a hard time dosing correctly.

My tank is only a few months old, not too big, and no corals except GSP. I was thinking of moving all the fish to TTM, the inverts to a small 76 day qt or sell them, and then tearing the display tank down to scrub off all the algae and bleach the rocks and dry the tank. I’ll get new sand though.

What is the best method to kill all forms of ich or other diseases in 2 weeks in a torn down tank? while my fish go through TTM and maybe a week in no copper QT. I’ll just restart the tank using bottled bacteria and cautiously reintroduce the fish again.

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yellow17165161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out HumbleFishes guide on sterilization so that might be route I take. I posted another thread to confirm if it indeed is ich before I take any drastic measures.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so why tear down tank if you can go fallow

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’m going to say I fully support the tear down. If you don’t care about the time or money go for it. You should have something you like otherwise what’s the point? You won’t put the same time and energy into something you dislike. Do what you want!

OP
OP
Y

Yellow17165161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been wanting to change the layout of the rock and change out the sand also, along with kill all the gha, so when I noticed the supposed ich today I thought to just use the ich as an excuse to just restart the tank, but I want to make sure it is indeed ich first.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back