Tell me why I don't need the new Radion XR15 G5 when I have the G4 XR15 Pro

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea 170, I'm in the process of setting it up. I have an Xr15W Pro Gen 4 and a Red Sea 90. Part of me wants to sell the G4 and buy the G5.... Just cause ill only need to spend about $100 for a next-generation light...

The tank is going to be SPS heavy/mixed reef. I'm trying to justify not buying it... technically the G4 would work perfectly fine but idk...

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a more known platform so more lighting profiles may be available and coral farms have shown that the G4's work perfectly fine, just because. a new generation was released does not mean the old generation suddenly stopped working.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen5 has had lots of shipping issues. Cracked housings and reflectors. Some say the fan is really loud, so much so they included a way to slow down the fan in the software. Also with the improved spread you have to mount closer to the tank to avoid light spill which means less working room.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meet your question with another question:
Tell me why you need the new G5 when you have the G4 Pro already?
Because I'm a sucker for new technology.

Gen5 has had lots of shipping issues. Cracked housings and reflectors. Some say the fan is really loud, so much so they included a way to slow down the fan in the software. Also with the improved spread you have to mount closer to the tank to avoid light spill which means less working room.
Didn't know this...

Its a more known platform so more lighting profiles may be available and coral farms have shown that the G4's work perfectly fine, just because. a new generation was released does not mean the old generation suddenly stopped working.
Very true....

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues with the cracked lens and casing have been fixed with the new ones leaving ecotech. Mine arrived about 3 weeks ago with the fix in place.
have you noticed shading? Right now I'm running into an issue with the SPS that some sides are getting no light.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely took advantage of the Gen5 launch ...... to buy a couple of almost new Gen4 pro at a really good price. Been using Gen4 pro since the day they came out. We’ve all got to be suckers for marketing at some point - though in my defense I was in the market for new lights. Guess what, Gen4 grow SPS just fine.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely took advantage of the Gen5 launch ...... to buy a couple of almost new Gen4 pro at a really good price. Been using Gen4 pro since the day they came out. We’ve all got to be suckers for marketing at some point - though in my defense I was in the market for new lights. Guess what, Gen4 grow SPS just fine.
any issue with shading though? right now my acros. My acros on my frag rack on the right side are getting no right on the sides...

Cblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as shading... i run my xr15 in a t5 hybrid so for me shading is not an issue but with the t5 off i notice very little shading compared to the red sea reefled i was using prior to the radion. Spread seems good and i get 220-350 par thru the entire tank. Currently i am acclimating to 60% intensity. I don't think i will go over that. Tank is a red sea reefer 170

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as shading... i run my xr15 in a t5 hybrid so for me shading is not an issue but with the t5 off i notice very little shading compared to the red sea reefled i was using prior to the radion. Spread seems good and i get 220-350 par thru the entire tank. Currently i am acclimating to 60% intensity. I don't think i will go over that. Tank is a red sea reefer 170
Which T5 you use? I might sell my radion and just get a ATI fixture

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save the money and spend on corals, fish, another bit of kit or help a family out in hard times. Personally I see no advantage to you in spending more to go for the latest and "greatest" :)

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues with the cracked lens and casing have been fixed with the new ones leaving ecotech. Mine arrived about 3 weeks ago with the fix in place.
Good to hear, that is very good to hear. The initial response if just call customer service was off putting. If they fixed it though that is awesome there are still great lights he was just asking someone to talk him out of it. Lol

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the "fix"...?

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going for an SPS dominant tank on a reefer 170 then you’ll need the XR30. XR15 is great but you’re still limited for instance. With my XR15 Blue set to 100% I am only getting ~200 par mid way down. This is an area I wish I could be getting 300 in. An XR30 would accomplish this.

watch this

and this for reference

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the "fix"...?
There were multiple issues, first the molds were meant to be used with a certain plastic and last minute they changed plastics. This new plastic would in turn shrink When cured just enough To cause slight fitment issues. Next because of these fitment issues when the cover was screwed on it caused stress points that would eventually crack them as heat caused them to expand.

This has been fixed by going back to a compound that won’t shrink and Also the addition of washers where the cover screws in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back