Tell me why I don't need the new Radion XR15 G5 when I have the G4 XR15 Pro

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were multiple issues, first the molds were meant to be used with a certain plastic and last minute they changed plastics. This new plastic would in turn shrink When cured just enough To cause slight fitment issues. Next because of these fitment issues when the cover was screwed on it caused stress points that would eventually crack them as heat caused them to expand.

This has been fixed by going back to a compound that won’t shrink and Also the addition of washers where the cover screws in.

I believe They added a bushing where the screws are to help with the pressure points

So they actually changed the plastic material - or they just added a washer...?

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added my radion. Right now I’m gonna run it 12-8 at 20% full blues. I noticed polyp extension literally within the hour....

I guess this can Work for now until I figure out what I wanna do. My SPS is on the top right frag rack

9685476E-3542-41E6-86BF-CD9B73A87A90.jpeg F41C092B-3065-4D35-9F4D-C4EC70666E1E.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any issue with shading though? right now my acros. My acros on my frag rack on the right side are getting no right on the sides...

Shading is an issue with any point source (or quasi point source) light. If the assumption behind your question is that greater diode spread on the Gen5 solves any and all shading issues …. well, time will tell. In my case, I have a line array of Gen4 lights so no shading.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shading is an issue with any point source (or quasi point source) light. If the assumption behind your question is that greater diode spread on the Gen5 solves any and all shading issues …. well, time will tell. In my case, I have a line array of Gen4 lights so no shading.
BRS said that the G5 could replace T5s...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice ….. I think I'll wait until there is some actual performance 'data' available from some credible reefers. My standard position on all new stuff :)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a G4 fail and they offered a Gen5. But the Gen 5 is not backward compatible with the gen 4. So it would have been two apps. The Gen 5 from what I understand wont work with Apex Fusion. (I will be harshly scorned if this is incorrect information)

I say NO

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were multiple issues, first the molds were meant to be used with a certain plastic and last minute they changed plastics. This new plastic would in turn shrink When cured just enough To cause slight fitment issues. Next because of these fitment issues when the cover was screwed on it caused stress points that would eventually crack them as heat caused them to expand.

This has been fixed by going back to a compound that won’t shrink and Also the addition of washers where the cover screws in.
That's very good information transparency is awesome and very happy they fixed it

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen5 has had lots of shipping issues. Cracked housings and reflectors. Some say the fan is really loud, so much so they included a way to slow down the fan in the software. Also with the improved spread you have to mount closer to the tank to avoid light spill which means less working room.

I have purchased a couple of the new G5 fixtures and found none of what you stated to be the case. My units arrived perfectly fine with no issues. I believe months back there were issues concerning the way they were packaged but that has since been resolved.

The fans on the fixtures I purchased are barely audible , even when the fixture is set to 100% intensity.

I have the fixtures mounted with the RMS arms and the spread as well as the distance from the surface of the tank (9”) is perfect.

These are my first LED fixtures and am very happy with them. I’ve used MH or T5 for 25+ years so this is uncharted territory for me. It remains to be seen how well they will grow SPS in comparison to what I have used in he past.

If it wasn’t for the small form-factor, lack of heat, and ease of installI would have gone with a full blown ATI T5 setup. Unfortunately, the aesthetics of a large lighting fixture do not work with the current placement of this tank.

LEDS are something new to me and I look forward to seeing what they can do.

I preordered diffusers and will report back their impact, visually.

To answer the OPs question, both lights are great but when I got to see the G4 and G5 side by side the G5 clearly had better spread , coverage, and less shadows. The G4 was not running a diffuser.

If it’s only going to cost you $100 more I would go with the G5.

Last edited:

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a couple of the new G5 fixtures and found none of what you stated to be the case. My units arrived perfectly fine with no issues. I believe months back there were issues concerning the way they were packaged but that has since been resolved.

The fans on the fixtures I purchased barely audible , even when the fixture is set to 100 intensity.

I have the fixtures mounted with the RMS arms and the spread as well as the distance from the surface of the tank (9”) is perfect.

These are my first LED fixtures and am very happy with them. I’ve used MH or T5 for 25+ years so this is uncharted territory for me. It remains to be seen how well they will grow SPS in comparison to what I have used in he past.

If it wasn’t for the small for factor, lack of heat, and ease of installI would have gone with a full blown ATI T5 setup. Unfortunately, the aesthetics of a large lighting fixture do not work with the current placement of this tank.

LEDS are something new to me and I look forward to seeing what they can do.

I preordered diffusers and will report back their impact, visually.

To answer the OPs question, both lights are great but when I got to see the G4 and G5 side by side the G5 clearly had better spread , coverage, and less shadows. The G4 was not running a diffuser.

If it’s only going to cost you $100 more I would go with the G5.
Glad to hear they addressed it!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the dollars from your gen4 sale and upgrade on the cheap why not? Though I agree with most folks you won't see a major benefit for $100 outside of getting the next-gen light. I have gen 4 nonpro lights but I kept my gen1s which sit over our QT tank... I would say I really didn't need to spend the extra money on the gen4's after seeing them over the 100g our corals don't seem to care either outside of the torch that got burned at the top.

I am empathetic to your plight I'm a gear head so the lastest and greatest speaks to me, in this hobby to curb that urge I remind myself that the extra money can be spent on new and exotic corals :) When we start a dosing thread talk to me about the Ecotech versa >>> they can just have my money now (regardless of any problems lol).

My advice is to tell you to wait especially until all the bugs and manufacturing issues are resolved, not to mention the Mobius (software problems) a quick search will return some results for that. Also if you are running an Apex that's not gonna work anymore with the WXM, since the gen5 runs on Mobius.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an ecotech pump and I’ll be honest, I’m not thrilled with how the company is. They seem to just be a boutique brand.

I dont think I’d buy lights from Ecotech. Not unless something changes because I hear way too many issues with their G5 lights.

At a LFS their is a huge frag tank with Maxspect and Kessil lights and one with All G5 Ecotech Radion. I was surprised to hear that the Radions “couldn’t grow ****” while the Maxspect and Kessil lights were growing no problem.

if you want to upgrade and do corals I really think there is better. Like dual kessil 360x with t5’s!!!!!!!

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t Have them already, take that money that’s boring a hole in your pocket and get some T5’s. Best of both worlds... right.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a LFS their is a huge frag tank with Maxspect and Kessil lights and one with All G5 Ecotech Radion. I was surprised to hear that the Radions “couldn’t grow ****” while the Maxspect and Kessil lights were growing no problem.

That sounds like a load of ****. Gen5 hasn’t been out very long so any conclusions about performance are premature. I did not bother with the Gen5, being quite happy with my Gen4 pros, but they grow corals just fine, as do my kessils. As long as fixtures use reliable, quality diodes led is mostly led, so I’d not put much stock in LFS comments to the contrary.

FWIW, selling a used gen4 light for $100 less than a new Gen5 seems awfully optimistic (though I appreciate that the OP is talking about the 15s). I was able to get a couple of late 2019 vintage Gen4 pro 30s for $500 each ...sizable gap to get to Gen5 ... and of debatable value.

Last edited:

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a load of ****. Gen5 hasn’t been out very long so any conclusions about performance are premature. I did not bother with the Gen5, being quite happy with my Gen4 pros, but they grow corals just fine, as do my kessils. As long as fixtures use reliable, quality diodes led is mostly led, so I’d not put much stock in LFS comments to the contrary.

They liked the Gen 4. It was the Gen 5 they didnt.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're late to the party he got the Gen5's... @Zeal Post Gen5 upgrade review?

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you get another used G4 to replace the Red Sea 90 to make the tank look nicer instead. :)

I also looked into upgrading my G4s into G5s, but seems like G5 has some issues with mobius app as well in addition to what was already mentioned in this thread. Saw a thread here where there was issued about lighting scheduled you programmed being lost for no reason (latest release of mobius app "supposedly" fixed it). So I decided to wait for at least a year before reconsidering it again.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides some of the obvious, the biggest benefit to having G5 over G4pro is that the G5 is wifi capable. Once ecotech unlocks wifi, G5 users will be able to control their ecotech equipment remotely through mobius.

Yet, as I understand it (correct me if I am wrong), Gen5 is not backwards compatible with either WXM or ReefLink/ESL, WXM I get, but no ReefLink seems curious to me. Older equipment is backwards compatible with ReefLink though .....

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 gen5 xr15 pro version mounted on the aquatic life t5 hybrid over a standard 120g tank. This setup replaces an all t5 fixture. (6bulb bank) on the left 2 t5 bulbs inside the new set up is a blue pluse and guissmen super atinic. The right side is both guissmen super atinic and atinic blue. This new led/t5 hybrid is by far better then the t5 alone. My corals are growing much faster

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been over a month and I still haven't bought a new light. I'm moving into a new house so I'm going to buy a used XR15 G4 and put 2 over the red sea 170... My Nuvo 40g is going to stay with the Red Sea 90 light until I fully transfer everything into the red sea 170... and eventually sell that light or or something idk

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back