tell me your experience with Kessil lighting

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Sep 18, 2017.

1. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I have been looking at carrying some kind of LED lighting for a while now, and after a lot of research, talking with a few other vendors, etc, I have a Kessil AP700, A360, and an A160WE Tuna Blue coming this week. I've had the A360 before and am familiar with it. It grew coral well, but for personal taste it wasn't my "style". The AP700 will replace the SB Reef lights over one of my frag tanks, and I'll be doing before/after PAR readings as best I can with my seneye. The A360 and A160WE will be used for display purposes when I do frag swaps and whatnot.

At the end of the day, I should carry the same light I use, which right now is SB Reef Lights. But I'd like something that doesn't get so hot and has a better control feature (WIFI). The SB Reef Lights wifi app is the achilles heel in my opinion - it's janky chinese programming at best, poor english and all. Plus I don't really think I could be a reseller of SB Reef Lights as they appear to only sell direct.

I have used radions as well, and considered that route, but I did not care for the shading I had on my G4 Pros. They grew coral great, but the shading was pretty bad. I ended up having SIX of them over my 180g to compensate, which was expensive. I have 6 of the SB Reef Lights over my 180, but they are cheap so it was an easy pill to swallow. But the AP700 seems to have a better time on the shading from what I've seen, so I'm excited to try it.

Please note, none of these brands have ever given me lights to try or anything, I've tested and used all of these on my own dime.

That said, tell me your personal experiences with Kessil - be it the lights, the customer service, etc? If I did carry Kessil lighting, is that the kind of thing that interests any of you? I would likely do something like a "buy a kessil light and get $X in coral" promotion in order to match places like BRS with their reward points etc.

On a similar note, I'm also looking at carrying some of the same foods that I use such as Coral Frenzy, as well as the Bubble Magus line of skimmers (since I use them myself as well).

Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I have a pair of A360WE's over my 40 breeder and I love them. The shimmer, the color blend, and the ease of use are great. And the GARF Bonsai and the Joe The Coral Acro that you sold me are doing great under them. I control them with the Bluefish LED controller, however on the 160's and 360's kessil makes a controller that you can use as well. The AP700 is WIFI controllable on its own. I know kessil gets alot of bashing for their shadowing but to me it adds depth to the tank.
    And another thing is make sure their cleaned regularly. Blow them out with compressed air at least once a month.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  3. HB AL

HB AL Well-Known Member

IMG_0060.JPG No complaints here and the one time I contacted customer service it was top notch and received a replacement light in a few days.

4. BoomCorals

I have heard their service is top notch. I have never had to use it, but that is very appealing to me. I want something that has great service, the same as I would give my own customers.

Thanks this is very helpful feedback.

5. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

We use kessils on our display and frag tanks at the store that I work at with good results. When we first got them there was 1 that was a slightly different color than the rest. Probably wouldn't have noticed anything wrong if we weren't hanging them side by side. Kessil replaced it no problem. We've also had them stop working once or twice and kessil sent us new ones. I have an ap700 over my 90g at home and I like it. I have a problem with it turning off or on for a second randomly but it's not really a big deal to me. I told kessil about it and they replaced it under warranty but same issue. Sometimes it happens 2x in one day, sometimes I won't notice it for months. And I rarely mess with it.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

These look like colonies to me!

7. ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88 Active Member

Kessil has one of the most insanely helpful customer service I've ever seen. I live close by their plant, and it's a quick phone call away. Spoke with someone who said she would have an engineer call me back, she called me herself an hour later saying they had unfortunately gone home for the day but I'll have a response first thing in the morning. 0900hrs promptly I had a call back, provided all the specs I needed, and even sent me their fan supplier/diagram!! I have an a150 ocean blue for my frag tank and two a160we for my softie/LPS dominant 75g and it's just amazing! All have sprung up like weeds and my zoas are finally sprouting new polyps. Upgraded from a coralvue moon, never looked back.

8. leicaguy

leicaguy Active Member

Customer service is 200% TOP NOTCH with Kessil The best there is

9. BoomCorals

That's great to hear. I know no company is perfect but I really like their approach on customer service.

10. BoomCorals

So let me ask another question. Hypothetical, just to help me understand a possible market for carrying a lighting product. Let's say you were in the market for an LED. Would the following be of interest to you as a buyer? If not, what other special would be attractive?

Buy an AP700 and get $100 off on any other purchase including dry goods like a skimmer or coral foods or hanging kit, etc, or even towards a live coral order? Can be used right away.

Another example, same deal but on an A360WE get $50 off other purchase.

crabs_mcjones and leepink23 like this.
  11. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

12. USMC4Life

USMC4Life Well-Known Member

I have never used them, however I have seen them on tanks and love the way they look. But, there is a big but and that is the price point. For one light $200 to $399 is way too much when you must get two of them to light a tank as small as a 60g tall. And that's not including a controller. So someone like me can't just afford it and if I could, I would not be able to rationalize the cost because I could get something else that work just as well but may not have the aesthetics but is a lot cheaper. For a lot of people it comes down to cost. Just my opinion.

crabs_mcjones and BoomCorals like this.
  13. BoomCorals

I understand that. It's definitely not for everyone. I thought the AP700 was crazy expensive until I realized it covered as much area as two xr30 radions ($1600!).

Something I plan is to test and provide for my customers as much info as I can on things like PAR and coverage. That's why I'm going to test the kessil. Like my coral, I'm not going to sell something I wouldn't use myself! We will see how it goes Thursday when everything arrives.

14. BoomCorals

By the way I really appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming! Good or bad!

15. USMC4Life

USMC4Life Well-Known Member

Outstanding! Keep us informed.

I would like to know all the info you can provide. Because I can't seem to find a good light. The only one I had any success was SB reeflights. And that was something someone gave me to use for a short time. However I was not happy with the app and the $399 price point, because of the way the app was and that it seemed that 1/2 the light was slightly off from the other.

Semper Fi!

16. GoVols

GoVols VFL R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

If you want my opinion about Kessil???
    Over the years I have used them off and on since 2012 when the A35ow's first came out over a 34 gallon RSM 130 that I took rimless.

JMO... But if your into big name brands and not black boxes then the AP700 maybe about as good as it gets, if it fits your reef's dimension's and when your figure in what you get with that fixture, to myself it's at a really reasonable price.

They customer service has never let me down and their engineer's did guide my on the latest lighting mod in March after I fell on my face with another brand in January.

To myself when going led, you must nail the spread to get it right.

I do run a Kessil a80/T5 hybird (Over an 24" deep 11o gallon) and the Kessil engineer's got all of my specs. including led/bulb height and they nailed it.

But... I still look at @Jason mack 's reef with black boxes and I can not deny his results... but his spread is perfection too.

I do like Kessil but if I went all led today, I can't say that Kessil would be the final decision.
    But... (lol) My reef loves the a80/T5 hybird, So, lighting has been checked off my list.

As Salty already knows there's a lot more than lighting to a good reef and a good balance of organics (within the water column) plays a huge factor in coral photosynthesis. If I went back to MH/T5, then I'd have to tinker with the nutrients, again :(

So, I'm more into studying water chemistry than lighting at the moment.

You can't beat Kessil's customer service but you must buy enough units to get the correct spread and just about every company... fudge's on their "correct" spread #'s for corner to corner coverage.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  17. Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty cool. I think I'd be more inclined if it were getting some coral. "Sure this looks great under my Kessil, but you can get a great deal on your own Kessil and these corals will look exactly the same!"

18. BoomCorals

Thanks for the feedback and for @saltyfilmfolks for the tag.

19. BoomCorals

Right that was kind of my thought. A common trend is that people ask me what lights I'm running, and how to get their corals to look the same. I will say that in a display tank there is a slightly different look to coral than in a frag tank when using SB Reef Lights. I think it's because of the spread pattern, but it's really only discernible to those of us who obsess over our coral. (Wait, maybe that's ALL of us?) I experienced the same with the radions though not to the same extent. I'm hoping the Kessil will lessen that gap. I saw them at an LFS and the look in the frag tank vs the look in their display tank was identical to me. That's actually what started this WHOOOOLE thing in to motion!

20. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

No problem. We've talked light and kessil for quite a while now.

Freddie is one of my favorite kessil kool aide friends :)

crabs_mcjones, Jason mack and GoVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted