tell me your experience with Kessil lighting

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Sep 18, 2017.

1. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

No difference at all in that regard. I added the T5s because I couldnt add a third A360 without making my canopy look like swiss cheese when I went SPS dominant a few months back.

2. bif24701

bif24701 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Not shimmer, but contrast and depth. Because a T5 bulb send light everywhere and illuminates better but you also lose some of that sharp looking MH congrats type look. I also don't care for the Blue Plus color, makes my tank look like it's filled with Windex. Should have gone AquaBlue Special or Coral Plus but doesn't matter since I don't see it. Blue Plus does have the ideal spectrum though so that good for growth and color. The T5s just look flat, not so bad that I have a single point main light though. I think a Coral Plus and Blue Plus would be better look so I'll have to try it out soon.

LoneStarReef likes this.
  3. LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Good to know. Thx. I have 2 a360we’s for my 90 gallon (48”). The tank isn’t even wet yet so I have no idea how well they will do. I am hoping to have an SPS dominant tank and was wondering if I might need to supplement with T5’s. Now I’m thinking I may just add another A360we when I get to that point.

4. madweazl

Three-four 360s or T5s to supplement; I measured with and without in this thread. Your PAR levels would be lower due to the extra height of the 90 over my 75g.

5. bif24701

One or even better two more 360s. I think the reason so many had success with 360s and T5s is because they didn't have enough of them. They could have added one more light and not had too add the T5s.

LoneStarReef likes this.
  6. Zonly1

Zonly1 Member R2R Supporter

So, this thread is a little on the older side, but I'm putting together a 210 mixed reef and researching lighting. Would 2 of AP700's work? Dimensions are 72 1/2 x 24 1/2 x 29 5/8

Appreciate your thoughts!

Crabs Mcjones and Mal11224 like this.
  7. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

For a mixed reef I think it could work. Worst case scenario, you have to add some t5 retrofit.

Zonly1, Mal11224 and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  8. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Tank Mechanic R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Two ap700s would be amazing on that tank. Kessil recommends 36" per fixture for sps dominant. So two for your tank would be awesome! :)

DangerDave, Zonly1 and Mal11224 like this.
  9. Mal11224

Mal11224 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have 1 over my tank at 36" length. You should definitely be good with two. It is a very good light. Definitely glad I got one.

Zonly1 and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  10. Zonly1

Wow, you folks are fast and so helpful, thank you!

Crabs Mcjones and Mal11224 like this.
  11. nbagnardi

nbagnardi Valuable Member

That depends what you’re planning on housing in your tank. Mixed Reef can be a specific coral dominant. I have 2 Ap700’s over a 60” tank 7” above the water line and use the slight diffusers to calm down the shimmer. I’m going sps dominant and I can safely say that I wish I had more light. If you want those big acro colonies up top, personally, I’d shoot for a 3rd Ap700 or supplement with running some T5’s.

Zonly1 likes this.
  12. Zonly1

Thanks for the advice, Nick and yes, I will probably be more on the sps side.

13. nbagnardi

Anytime man, if you have any specifics you can’t find answers for, you can message me and I’ll help to the best of my abilities.

Zonly1 likes this.
  14. Sledgehammer87

Sledgehammer87 New Member

I have a Red Sea Reefer 750xxl (72" long x 24" deep) with two AP700's. I run a mixed reef that is starting to lean sps dominant. I can tell you that they have plenty of power and I've had good par readings through out the tank.

That being said, I added t5ho's to supplement and since then my coral growth has gotten better.

Zonly1 likes this.
  15. bif24701

I think two will do it it just fine. Your tank is only a couple inches bigger than mine and two can flood every square inch with good PAR numbers.

Zonly1 likes this.
  16. bif24701

I also added two T5s if for no other reason than T5s are awesome for coral health, but add more light to the center where light is partially blocked by a large glass center brace.

I actually program the T5s to turn off before I get home. I personally prefer the look of the LEDs.

nbagnardi likes this.
  17. Sledgehammer87

Sledgehammer87 New Member

I do the same thing. It's hard to compete with the kessil look.

Zonly1 and bif24701 like this.
  18. madweazl

I hate the look the T5s (ATI Blue+) cast on the tank compared to the Kessils alone but don't want to mess with the schedule because everything is doing really well. I do plan on doing something similar with the 150g build that is under way though.

Zonly1 and bif24701 like this.
  19. nbagnardi

i myself have been toying with the idea of T5's just to really cook the SPS and pull those colors i see in the pics. but i have to disagree, in order to really get the intensity needed 350+ per BRS's claims... you're not going to get that over a 6 foot tank with just two units and more than a couple inches down. although, if you have actual data of just two ap700's, testing it and proving me wrong, i would love to see that so i can readjust my beliefs.

leahfiish likes this.
  20. Zonly1

So, what t5's are you running and where are they placed? One front, one back, or both front, etc. trying to get a visual here. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted