tell me your experience with Kessil lighting

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Sep 18, 2017.

1. bif24701

bif24701 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Is a slim 2 bulb fixture that is on the front side of my display. Bulbs are ATI Blue Plus, I think the light of this bulb matches the look and spectrum cure of the AP700 better than any other bulb.

Zonly1 likes this.

2. bif24701

Well, you could easily just view BRS recent video on the Kessil AP700 showing it it more than capable of high PAR.

Or this:
    [​IMG]

This is a screen shot directly from my APEX fusion. The PMK sensor is against the back that is painted black, about 8” down and close to the center. I placed it here because I wanted to see how the PAR is in one of the hardest areas of my display to light. It’s difficult because my display is kind of unique. In the center there is a ~24” wide double pane center brace, it’s only because of this I have T5s at all. Anyway, the PMK is directly under the brace, at the back (T5s are on the front), and not directly under either of the AP700s. So, i wanted to be sure a acro placed here would get adequate light. The dips are some dust algae growing over the sensor. When you don’t keep the sensor and the mounting rock in the system at all times it will get a little dusting of algae growing over it every few days. I use a soft long handle brush to clean it off.

The majority of my acros are getting 450-500 PAR with the addition of T5s.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. bif24701

I get around ~300+ PAR in every inch of my system @70% power without the T5s, exception is the center area where this stupid brace is. I can not wait until I replace this display.

Do you have the Kessil AP700? Have you taken readings? You are in fact the first person I’ve have encountered that actually doubt the output of the Kessil AP700.

HolisticBear likes this.
  4. bif24701

Here are a few screen shots of the BRS investigates video on the AP700.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is two fixtures:
    [​IMG]

Bottom line is Yes. You can certainly hit that number over a 6’ tank with just two. Each AP700 only needs to illuminate a 36”x24” area and it is certainly able to do that easily.

5. nbagnardi

nbagnardi Valuable Member

I do have them, I’m not doubting the power or par. I’m doubting the spread. If you see the dimensions of the test tank (40” x 20”) you’d see exactly what I’m talking about. A 6 foot tank... 72” is going to have dramatic dips and peaks where the light doesn’t overlap spread. You’d have to raise the light significantly above the water level and doing so, you’d sacrifice PAR.

Bottom line, on a 40” tank... 2 AP700’s is going to give you enough power and spread to achieve whichever par reading you desire. Within reason.

6. bif24701

No, that’s not correct. Each AP700 easily covers a 36” area even up to 9” high. I don’t know how much further I can explain it. I see what you are referring too. The problem is that they didn’t test a single until and 7”or 9” over the 40” tank, the one fault in the video. That gives the impression that it can’t do it. That is totally false. They point that BRS was trying to illuminate is that the mounting height recommended for 48” coverage isn’t going to produce the SPS like number of the prior tests.

Let’s try this, take a look here. You can see how the PAR chart has an elongated shape in the display?
    Here
    [​IMG]
    And here
    [​IMG]
    The numbers are higher against the glass because lots of light is being bounced off back into the test tank.
    If they had test a single unit at 7-9” over a 36” test display it would clearly show that however they didn’t or couldn’t for some reason, probably just what they have been using on other tests. You have to literally think outside the box to see what I mean. Im surprised you haven’t seen this yourself because it is clearly evident with PAR meter.

7. Water Dog

Water Dog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Those par readings are with the fixture hung at 7” over the water and turned up at 100% intensity. Crank any fixture up to max and you’ll get the par readings that will fit your narrative. In practice however, those who own AP700s know that running it at 100% intensity will lead to bleached coral, while the self shading of mature SPS colonies will still remain and be a problem. While those charts are pretty for illustrative purposes, in practice, it’s a different story.

I was considering using solely an AP700 over a 36x18x20 acro only tank. However, I will now be building a floating canopy to house 2 35” Hamilton Aruba Sun V T5 retrofits flanking the front and the back of my AP700.

While I love the capabilities of the AP700, I have yet to see a mature acropora filled tank using AP700s as their sole source of lighting. Even on the big AP700 thread on RC, most of the long time users of the AP700 eventually ended up supplementing with T5s. I’m not knocking the light by any means, I own one! :) But depending on how you intend to use the light, T5 supplements may be necessary.

8. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Anyone else have an ap700 on an LPS-dominant 120? Would love to swap settings. :) I have one ap700 18" above the water, currently running an 8 hour peak at 55%, almost all the deepest blue.

9. Water Dog

Run it at the deepest blue setting with red at 20% and green at 60%. At these settings, it looks remarkably close to a 250w Radium MH bulb... simply stunning! If I were going LPS and a few SPS mixed reef. I’d forgo the T5s and just strictly run my AP700 at those settings.

HolisticBear and leahfiish like this.
  10. Zonly1

Zonly1 Member R2R Supporter

Great information there, @bif24701 much appreciated.

11. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I tried that out to see how it looks. To me it was very similar to the "4th from the bottom" blue. It shows the fish and colors nicely. But I'm worried about how much impact running the heavy green would have on algae?

20180213_203330.jpg

12. USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE Well-Known Member

I agree. After doing a crap load of research I’m going to be adding two T5 bulbs on each side of my AP700.

The par charts that I’ve seen have a decent spread but not high par. For instance, while the light can achieve 500 par in a tank, it would have to be set at 5” inches high and the coral would have to sit 6” under the water line. Not even a rulers length from light to coral. Furthermore, as the light is set at a higher height to achieve a better spread, pat values drop significantly and it keeps dropping as corals are placed at a lower depth.

In addition to this I have a monti that’s developing a “shadow”. I didn’t fully know what this term meant as it related to corals until today when I move the rock it sat on and saw first hand.

Great light! I love it and would buy it again in a heart beat but it needs just a tad bit of help from an additional light source if wanting to cover tanks light mine (48x18x24). With that said I know that this light will suffice alone with smaller tanks or if two are used on longer tanks. I think my tank dimensions are just not very light friendly for ANY single light.

13. Water Dog

@leahfiish the green brightens up the tank without using the whites... Upping the whites is more conducive to promoting nuisance algae than upping the greens IMO. Thus, given the choice of using the 4th from the bottom blue (which will increase the use of the white diodes) or going max Blue and bumping the green, I’d go with the latter.

leahfiish and HolisticBear like this.
  14. Zonly1

Zonly1 Member R2R Supporter

What are your tank dimensions?

15. bif24701

My setup doesn’t not reflect that. I’m getting excellent numbers. Last thing I’ll ever be worried about is lighting.

16. Water Dog

Of course not... you’re one of the longtime AP700 users from the RC thread that I referenced that eventually got T5 supplements too.

bif24701 likes this.
  17. USMC 4 LIFE

48x18x24. A tad bit long and deep for any one light source.

Zonly1 likes this.
  18. bif24701

That’s true I do. I only got them because that brace blocks lots of light. Hopefully I’ll be getting a new tank this month or next. Maybe a Reefer XXL 750. If I do, don’t think I’ll be using the T5s however I won’t make any promises until I put it all together.

USMC 4 LIFE and leahfiish like this.
  19. USMC 4 LIFE

For anyone considering or already owning the AP700 be aware that they have color discrepancy firmware issues that they are currently still working on. Time table they gave me was “months” which isn’t great.

The last two program points will fail to tune into the correct shade of blue and will default to the deepest blue instead. Not sure how many units this affects but since they are well aware of it, it’s safe to say that it’s a considerable amount.

After speaking and emailing their customer service rep, they came up with a temporary fix. Here it is and I hope it alleviate future headaches from people trying to repeatedly program the light with no effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ScottB

ScottB Member

Hi,
    I am 10 pages into this great thread and you are the first so far to say that 2 X AP700 on a 60" tank is too little. My tank is 59 X 21 X 21 with top half of tank primarily acros. Current lights (3 X Hydra 26) not cutting it at 9" above water. PAR meter confirmed what acros were telling me so I am researching.

You are still high conviction that this is too little? At 20" in length each, I would be hanging over the sides using three. The other fixture I am looking at is ATI hybrid 60".

Thanks for contributing your experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted