tell me your experience with Kessil lighting

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Sep 18, 2017.

1. bif24701

bif24701 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Has anyone compared the noise level with the Kessil AP700 vs Radion. I have no sound coming from my Kessil, even if I put my head up to it. The Radions I have seen generate considerable noise.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

If you don't mind, would you send kessil@kessil.com an email about it, I figure the more emails they get the more inclined they'd be to do it :)

bif24701 likes this.
  3. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

My fan is dead silent. In fact I find myself putting my hands near the unit to make sure its actually spinning ! :D

bif24701 likes this.
  4. bif24701

Sure, in fact I can contact my man Franco @ Kessil when I was doing beta testing.

5. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

My G4s were louder than the AP700, best I can recall.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

At world wide corals they have BTA under the 360, they look amazing! Kessils really has my attention.

Lovemyreef2015 and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  7. Crabs Mcjones

Awesome!! Thank you

8. Crabs Mcjones

And alot quieter than the SB lights ;)

bif24701 likes this.
  9. bif24701

I want to share some growth shots just incase anyone has doubts about the AP700.

This was May 1st, sat on the bottom of my display to acclimate and monitoring for a months then was mounted. Short one middle front.
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]
    It's red planet acro and has a deep purple/red color, gorgeous.

DSC reef, elisa h and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  10. USMC4Life

USMC4Life Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words! I am out of the Corps but the Corps is not out of me lol. I got out after 14 years. It was time. I miss it every day. Just one slight correction, I was / am a Ssgt and in Staff Sargent. I left right before my promotion lol. I'm in law enforcement now out in NJ.

Now on a side note, the reef hobby is what keeps me normal lol. I bet if more combat vets and law enforcement officers got involved in this hobby there would be a lot less problems with ptsd and the "22".

Semper Fi!

11. USMC4Life

USMC4Life Well-Known Member

I may take you up on it. I just found an old T12 I'm using as of yesterday. That's in addition to the crappy thing I got lol. As we say; adapt, improvise and overcome!

Semper Fi!

12. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Well ... Thanks for your continued
    Service Sarg/Officer. I worked in MtHolly NJ for a year Fun place lots to do. Keep safe and Cops lives matter too

USMC 4 LIFE, DSC reef and USMC4Life like this.
  13. Esage

Esage Valuable Member ETRC Member

What height and intensity are you running the A360 over the nem tank?

Thanks

14. BoomCorals

100% and it's currently about 8" off the water. PAR levels for the nems is about 150-200.

Crabs Mcjones and DSC reef like this.
  15. newbreefer316

newbreefer316 Well-Known Member

I'm curious to hear about your experience with the kessils over the nem tank. I've got a pair of 160's over my wifes tank and the gold/yellow nems I got for her have seemed to lighten up under them. Not in a bad way, just a shift in color.

16. BoomCorals

So far no changes in color. But they look phenomenal. Few pictures here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/more-new-items-anemones-and-clownfish.329321/

17. Esage

Esage Valuable Member ETRC Member

Thanks for the info. I'm currently converting my 30x20x16 display over to a BTA tank, currently have four BTAs. Are you running 100% intensity for eight 0r more hours? How deep is your tank? I'm running a A360we 8" above the water on my tank and currently max out at 65% for eight hours. I'm wondering if I need to start doing small increases on the intensity.

18. BoomCorals

It's a 20g long aqueon tank. So it's about 13" deep. I run the lights for about 7 hours.

19. bif24701

I would strongly caution anyone just getting the AP700 to start Low and Slow. Unless you have a PAR meter and able to match the PAR of the old lighting. You must acclimate corals and anemones to this powerful light and even then you may never reach 100% intensity nor need to in many cases. Start no more than 50%, 35% for smaller shallow thanks 6-8 hours peak. Increase by 5% each week and if you see any kind of bleaching turn the light down.

Also with high intensity you need the flow and nutrients to match or you WILL bleach corals.

Crabs Mcjones and BoomCorals like this.
  20. BoomCorals

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my AP700. I've tried a few different things but the corals at the edge are simply getting too much shade and do not seem happy on the edge. If my frag tank was only 36" wide it would be perfect. But my tanks are 48" and I can't give up that much real estate. The 3x A360we are perfect for 48" though.

I'd say this light is great for sps heavy at 36" wide and any mixed reef at 48" wide. But not for a 48" wide 10" deep frag tank. :(

$700 shipped and the light is only 3 weeks old!

Draft saved Draft deleted