Temp Control Off by .2 degrees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ataller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like another set of eyes on this oddity I noticed.

I have my heater to turn on at 78.2 and turn off at 78.5. However, my Apex is keeping my temperature between 78.1 and 78.3.
The heater is an eheim that I calibrated and then set to 81.

Have a look at the log, there seems to be a correlation with when the apex is turning the heater on and off and when the temperature fluctuates. I do not think the temp discrepancy is because of the internal thermometer of the Eheim.

log.jpg program.jpg Temp.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common mistake people make with the Apex. You need to remove the “Set OFF” command. The reason is because the Apex evaluates each line of code from top to bottom and the last line that’s True will set the output state. In your case, the Apex will turn on the heater as soon as the temperature drops below 78.2. But once the heater warms it back up to 78.2, that line of code is no longer True, so the last line in the program that is True is the Set OFF command.

By removing Set OFF, the heater will remain on until the temperature is above 78.5. Any time you want the Apex to maintain a range between two values, whether that’s temperature, pH, flow rates, water levels, etc., you should never use a Set command.

Read more about the appropriate use of Set here:

Also be sure to read my series of Apex tutorials for more tips and examples on a range of topics:

OP
OP
A

ataller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common mistake people make with the Apex. You need to remove the “Set OFF” command. The reason is because the Apex evaluates each line of code from top to bottom and the last line that’s True will set the output state. In your case, the Apex will turn on the heater as soon as the temperature drops below 78.2. But once the heater warms it back up to 78.2, that line of code is no longer True, so the last line in the program that is True is the Set OFF command.

By removing Set OFF, the heater will remain on until the temperature is above 78.5. Any time you want the Apex to maintain a range between two values, whether that’s temperature, pH, flow rates, water levels, etc., you should never use a Set command.

Read more about the appropriate use of Set here:

Also be sure to read my series of Apex tutorials for more tips and examples on a range of topics:

Thank you very much.
You have excellently explained my oversight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back