Temperature Controller

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the build of my temp controller. I forgot to post in the beginning that the STC-1000 is in celsius so you have to do the math to convert to fahrenheit.
You have to have a basic knowledge of electrical circuits to make this work but if you have and questions please feel free to ask me.
1. Here are the parts I used. STC-1000, Radio Shack project box, old power cord, 110V outlet, and outlet faceplate.
Temp+Controller+-+1

2. I cut openings into the project box for the STC-1000, outlet, power cord, and temp probe.
Temp+Controller+-+6

3. Mount the STC-1000 and outlet. Wire the power the the STC-1000 and outlet. In the picture the blue tape marks the cooling circuit and the red tape marks the heating circuit. Make sure you brake the tab on the side of the outlet to separate the two plugs.
Temp+Controller+-+4

4. Label the outlets.
Temp+Controller+-+3

5. Program the controller, for my tank I have it set to 26.5C or 80F.
Temp+Controller+-+2

6. Finally plug in you heater and fans (if you want to use a chiller you can but will need to wire the cooling circuit to a relay to handle the load).

OP
OP
Codemonkey812

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total Cost was about $27 (less shipping for the STC-1000 but I ordered it with other items from Amazon)
STC-1000 = $18
Project Box = $8
Outlet = $0.58
Outlet Cover = $0.36

I had the miscellaneous electrical stuff (#14 wire, wire nuts, power cord, ect) left over from other projects, so if you need to purchase them you will need to add a few dollars.

OP
OP
Codemonkey812

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly, I have not found a controller with the same built-in functionality. Most temperature controllers require external relays for heating and cooling regardless the power load. This controller allows up to 10 amps for heating and cooling, so you can run a standard heater or fan though it without adding a relay. If you want to use a chiller and the draw is more that 10 amps then you will need to add a relay for the cooling side.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the cost is quite a bit more, but wouldn't you be better served to just do a tank controller? They do this and much more with the basic packages, so I am just asking.

I am a DIY person also, so I respect the idear(yes, I said it right.. Lol) completely and awesome work!

I have been trying(along with many others) how to do a humidity interface without going hydroponic equipment and it's cost. With that, a whole new level of control is possible..

Sent from Note 2 on Tap 4

OP
OP
Codemonkey812

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct a tank controller is the best option as it can control many devices. But in my case I needed a cheap solution to regulate my tank temperature.

Softylover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the cost is quite a bit more, but wouldn't you be better served to just do a tank controller? They do this and much more with the basic packages, so I am just asking.

I am a DIY person also, so I respect the idear(yes, I said it right.. Lol) completely and awesome work!

I have been trying(along with many others) how to do a humidity interface without going hydroponic equipment and it's cost. With that, a whole new level of control is possible..

Sent from Note 2 on Tap 4

Im saying for a controller... But for 25$ that's a piece of mind... I have had several heaters go out and not turn off

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct a tank controller is the best option as it can control many devices. But in my case I needed a cheap solution to regulate my tank temperature.

Got ya! Lol, it's definitely a clever piece of device!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back