Temperature

VB68

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been setting around today doing some reading and from all I 've read today--Everyone has a different temperature they recomand for a reef tank. I've seen 75*, 78*, 79*-80*, 76*-83*. I was shooting for 79*( kinda somewhere in the middle). Is there an ideal temp?

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept my freshwater tanks at 78, so I started doing the same with my reef... seems to be working out fine for me.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best temp is one the is the most stable so if you can keep it at 78 then stick with it. My nem like it about 80 but nothing else doesnt. The least amount of swing the better IMO. I had my tank run up to 95 last year when the ac went out and didn't lose nothing until it got fixed. It went from 95 to 78 over night. Then I lost a montipora and a condy. So now my tank doesn't drift no more than two degrees. Your best bet is to find a spot with the least swing.

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my apex to keep the tank at 77-78. Heater will come on at 77 and off at 78. Today the temp here waqs in the 90's and i have no chiller and didnt run the a/c today and the tank only got to 78.1. The heater has not come on in a couple days tank drops to 77.2 at night. I'm loving my led's

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nature, reefs temp fluctuates allot, let your corals fluctuate also, it will make them sronger to changes, 76-83 or even greater (PROVIDING YOUR WATER PARAMETERS ARE EXCELLENT) other wise it will be a disaster.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nature, reefs temp fluctuates allot, let your corals fluctuate also, it will make them sronger to changes, 76-83 or even greater (PROVIDING YOUR WATER PARAMETERS ARE EXCELLENT) other wise it will be a disaster.

I can't see water in the ocean fluctuating that much during a single day...maybe throughout the year, but I'd imagine its a fairy steady temperature in such a huge body of water.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temps in my tanks always went from 79(at night with the lights off) -84(mid-day with the lights on) in the summer and I never had any issues. My controller would shut my lights off at 84.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running at about 78 during the day it will get up to the highest so far to 80, lowest I had it was 76 earlier this week when I had left the windows open and heat off temp dropped to 60 in the apartment. As stated I think the biggest thing is to have consistancy some flucuation in temp is okay but it should not be sudden changes.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had multiple, very experienced people agree with this.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't ses the ocean fluctuating that much either in a day because with the rising temps over the reefs we see more and more bleaching. So if that was the case the corals would either be hardier or we would see more bleaching. Wouldn't we ?

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank runs between 78-82 degrees, deprending on how hot/cool it is during the day.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine around 78 +/-1. Chiller kicks in when it hits 79 and cools it to 77. In cooler months usually hangs around 77 when the lights are off, 78 maybe when they are on.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see 5 degrees but 10 to 15 degrees everyday would stress the fire out of my tank.

Mine runs from 77 - 80 in a given day in the summer and nothing more. I wasn't condoning having your tank fluctuate 10-15 degrees daily, that is way too much.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs from 77 - 80 in a given day in the summer and nothing more. I wasn't condoning having your tank fluctuate 10-15 degrees daily, that is way too much.

Sorry I you thought I was talking about you. I was talking more about the statement about the reefs fluctuating on a day to day bases. I have seen my tank go up to 85 with no problem but the next day I made sure it didn't do it again. 2 liters of frozen RO/DI water works wonders. Lol

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the swings do not go outside of the normal temp range, don't worry about them.
My temps go from 75* to 85* depending on the time of day/year.

I have seen several studies on this, and have zero concerns about letting my temps swing. IMO/E, having a rock solid temp is going to cause you more issues than having swings within the normal temp ranges.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a nice night to day temp swing of 77 - 80. It sometimes gets a little hotter, but hardly ever cooler...

I have heard the same thing that a rock solid temp can cause issues if you are ever hit with a disaster. Having a little fluctuation can be beneficial in the health of your tank. I am by no measns saying to just let it swing all over, but within a good acceptable range is fine.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back